ABW Ambassador
    Or somebody on the team help them out. The sales were supposed to start turning into commissions on the 17th, then 23rd, then by the 31st. Only a couple have. Guide them

Tell them to add the product images into their datafeeds too - Geesh - they have the images in their befree feed, they should have em in the CJ feed.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Both are being addressed as we speak.

Thanks,
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Cool, haven't seen any with payouts yet but should be nice once they do!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Todd.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Geeze, and here I thought they just weren't converting. I have so few batch payment merchants that I keep forgetting to check them.

Well thanks for the heads up Trust.

Hi All:

Just wanted to check-in with all of our affiliates who may still be viewing this thread. I oversee the affiliate program for HSN, and just wanted to apologize for some of the issues associated with our new CJ program. As has been referenced on this board recently, we have had a few minor issues in the way our sales commissions have been appearing, and with the product images in our data feed. As mentioned by Todd, we are very aware of both of these issues and have been working towards a final resolution to both.

In the meantime, I can assure you that all sales are being tracked properly, and you will be credited for all commissions earned. As we are a batch merchant, commissions will not appear until an item has been shipped for 30 days.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Launching the new CJ program in the middle of a busy Q4 season proved to be quite a challenge, and we appreciate the patience of our affiliates.

Happy new year to all.

Regards,

Jon Eggleton
    Affiliate Program Manager
    HSN.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hi Jon,

Thanks for coming and explaining.

I have to tell you that I normally give a new merchant about 30 days to demonstrate its ability to perform. If I don't see reasonable performance within the first 30 days I start taking links down.

The problem with the way your payment program is set up is that I would have to give you more time than I'm comfortable with (60 days minimum) to determine if conversions are reasonable. This isn't just going to be a problem for me but for others as well.

Is there some way you could update your affiliates as to orders placed even though commissions have not yet been credited? For example, a weekly email, or better yet, you post the sale to our accounts but you simply don't lock it until the order ships. (I'm assuming that's been considered but perhaps there are internal issues at CJ that prevent it from working for you.)

There has to be some way for you to let us know about sales that are placed before they actually become orders shipped. I realize it's more work for you but it would probably also mean more affiliates for your program.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I also want to support what Rhea has said. Not being real time is bad enough but 30 days is ridiculous. This is worse than even LS.

Rhea:

Thanks for your question. I think I understand your suggestion and we did look in that direction for a solution. Just to clarify, we do in fact notify you of an order placed in real-time through the interface, similar to any other CJ merchant. The commission notification is what will take over 30 days, based on whether or not an order has been shipped for that period of time.

As such, you should now be able to get an indication of how we convert, even if it should be assumed that a certain percentage of those orders placed will never ship (and therefore never be commissionable). Our hope is that over time you'll have a track record of what % of ordered sales will never be commissionable, which should help you closely estimate what your EPC's will be right away. We've worked that way for 3+ years on the BFAST side, where it was only last year that we began even sending orders placed data to BFAST (affiliates previously had no visibility of a sale until an order shipped, which we had wanted to improve).

Unfortunately, we can't do a weekly notification of which orders will be shipped/commissionable, because right up until the time we send the commission record over to CJ, there's a chance it could be returned (there are reasons we had to do it this way, but in the interest of not rambling I won't go into all details).

Hopefully this at least helps explain our rationale for doing things this way. If not, feel free to email me at Jon.Eggleton@hsn.net.

Best,
    Jon

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Wow ..talk about a middleman float. Bet the referred customers have to pay upfront online and on TV. Amazon pays vendors weekly and demand shipping from stock within 5 days.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Dear EcomCity.com:

Thanks for your feedback. Actually, our situation has nothing to do with middleman float, as vendor payments are in no way connected to affiliate payouts. All HSN vendors are paid in a very timely basis, and generally speaking nearly all HSN orders are shipped by us to the customer within a few days (some exceptions include drop-ship items that we do not warehouse ourselves). I hope you can understand that as a $2 billion retailer, purposely holding commissions longer to eek out a few pennies on the dollar in interest would simply not be worth it. We're continually looking for ways to improve our program, so if we can come up with a better way to do this in the future for all parties involved, we'll be glad to do it.

Best,
    Jon

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Joh I'm aware of the numbers. Rolling a big portion of 50 million dollars for a 3-4 weeks is not pennies. Your a great merchandiser and product informercial channel. Tying your shipped sales, after credit confirmation, into a CJ batch report eliminates all but the 3-4% of returns. Most returns turn into exchanges any how due to sizes and defects in current inventory stocks. You do not specialize in limited inventory items like Overstock does.

Like them, you can structure paying affiliates in the month sales occurred as the liability for returns doesn't impact you as severly as it does them Heck they have sold returns at a profit on ebay for years. You require, like Amazon Shops, the merchant handles the returns. In the last 2 years on over 1000 orders I had only 3 reversals from Overstock.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, i got it now:

"Commission data will not display in your account manager until 30 days after the transaction has been SHIPPED (the sale will display real-time), which could be more than 30-days after the event date."

So it could be 60+ days. Dang

Did they recently change their cookie length? It's one day now.

I could be wrong (and often am), but I thought it was always one day?
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

ABW Ambassador
    Things are still messed up.

Starting to get paid for some sales anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    Anybody have the phone # to the affiliate manager?

ABW Ambassador
    I've been told there are still problems and that they are still working on it for those who have some sales that haven't turned into commissions yet, such as myself.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread