ABW Ambassador
    I would like to install this ASP page on my site. Before I go through all the hullaballoo can anyone tell me if it will work on a linux server?

Here is the script CyberBuzz

Thanks!

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: breeze ]

Nope, by the default Linux (Apache server) does not support ASP. I don't know too much about Linux, but you can install ASP support on Linux. Here are a couple of links for you to check out for ASP support for Apache.
    http://www.chilisoft.com/

http://www.halcyonsoft.com/

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: AlexBet ]

Hi,

No this will not work on Linux, ASP is not supported by Apache (defult webserver for linux) and I would not recomend that you try to install some ASP support for linux, your best solution would be to rewrite the game in PHP (PHP and ASP are very simular and can in most cases do the same stuff).

Magnus Agust Skulason,

Welcome!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No this will not work on Linux, ASP is not supported by Apache (defult webserver for linux) and I would not recomend that you try to install some ASP support for linux<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I said before that Apache doesn't support ASP by default, but these links that I gave are programs specially made for installing ASP support on Apache. Anyway, I will not guarantee anything here cause I really have no contact or experience whatsoever with a Linux platform.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>PHP and ASP are very simular <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I would not agree with this. They are different just like any other languages differ from each other. If you are thinking about the similarity of commands, well you can say that about all programming languages. But there is still the complexity of writing the code with all its parameters, and PHP is much more complex in that way than ASP (at least for me). If you know Perl, than you will have no problem learning PHP. Now, those two look similar.

My hosts have asp on linux, never tried it... presume exactly the same except no access databases?

There, you see! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

WSE, Access is another M$ stuff so I guess this support should be installed too as Linux will NOT support it as default. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I really don't understand some hosts. :confused: My host has everything installed on their servers, and there is support for just about antyhing. Like this, people who have their sites hosted there can freely use any scripting language they choose to, or any database etc. :cool:

They support mysql for an extra ten quid a month... yep, I think you can convert an access file to mysql... well, you can do tons of useful stuff in asp on linux I'm sure, like you say it's gotta be there already... bummer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread