I am currently considering becoming a freelance web designer, however im not sure how i would go about this, and whether i would have the expertise necessary.

I have a passion for web design and am very interested in all aspects of web buuilding, in my spare time i have learnt html, and more recently how to use dreamweaver, fireworks, and flash, and would be willing to learn more if necessary [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] although i dont actually have a website that ive designed as yet, ive tinkered with a few website ideas to make, but never actually completed the design for one, so i would have a non existent portfolio [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] could anyone give me any tips or advice regarding this, all help would be much appreciated [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I wasnt sure which forum to post this in, and whether it would be relevant to the topic, so im sorry if this isnt the right place to be asking this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: Heyder ]

Thanks Heyder,

If i did decide to go ahead with it, i was planning on making a website which would offer my services, contain my portfolio etc, and was thinking of earning additional income through affiliate programs on the site, which would be targeted to my site users, for example web hosting programs, thanks for helping with the portfolio, ill do what you suggested, make some templates and submit them for review, but remember to be gentle, these will be my first designs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Zar,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>i was planning on making a website which would offer my services, contain my portfolio etc, and was thinking of earning additional income through affiliate programs on the site, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't recommend you to have banner ads all over your corporate/Professional website banner ads look cheap at such places. You can have another site altogether for earning affiliate revenue.

ABW Ambassador
    I had debated using banners on our site for quite some time...I decided to add them for several reasons...first, we install adcycle for our customers, and the banners show a working version of the program. I also use the banners to show additonal resources, and to generate revenue. Our sales have gone up, so I don't believe they have had a negative effect....

I think Internet_Guru does have a point though, what ive decided to do is have a seperate site, which will contain information and resources for webmasters, list of web hosts, affiliate programs, javascripts, site tools etc, and one site could advertise the other to maximise composure, which could work well as both sites would have a smilar target audience.

lol, i meant exposure not composure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Well, if you seriously want to become a freelance web designer, you need to look at what others in the field are doing. I suggest you take a long look at SuperKickAssDesign and ask yourself if you honestly have what it takes to compete in such a competative market.

It ain't all that easy you know.

If you think you really have what it takes after looking at the best. SuperKickAssDesign And, you have the drive. And, you are willing to sacrifice to your art like they do. Then, Goddess Bless.

Well ofcourse i cant compete with the likes of superkickassdesign, such excellance cannot be surpassed, i can but only use such web design wonder as inspiration to drive me forward [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: Heyder ]

As for generating business, you could pick a favourite topic, and have a look through the relevant mags in your local WH Smith. This way you'll get to work with a subject you enjoy. Look at the small ads. A lot of these small businesses don't have websites. Contact them and ask if they want one built. Small businesses won't have such high needs/expectations for designs as big corporations so this would be a good place to get started.

Zar,

If this is what you want to do then go ahead...learn, learn, learn.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Zar the portfolio part is easy. Make a few templates and show them to us here. Put them up for review in the site review section and we'll let you know what we think.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't agree with this. I don't think a few templates would do it. Web Design doesn't only consist of making templates, it is a lot more than that.

I have been doing web design for 6 years now and I am constanlty learning new things. You have to keep up to date about everything. It is just how this business is. I am pretty confident about my web design capabilities, but I always have to learn new things because you can NEVER know EVERYTHING. That is what we are all here for though, to help each other. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

So what should i do in addition to the templates? :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So what should i do in addition to the templates? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get customers! With out them your templates are worth zilch!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So what should i do in addition to the templates?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I guess websites and anything that has to do with them would be a good start. :rolleyes:

ABW Ambassador
    People may joke about kickass web design - but there are designers that bad. Case in point - http://www.5url.com/

The easiest way to break into any field, specialize and create a niche. Show a deli you can make a nice deli site, then approach another deli. Try and focus on your portfolio, too many people show too much diversity. Most clients will want to know what they are getting and not have to guess what wacky design they might be shown.

Don't try to be everything.

Chez

Chez,

That is SOOOO much better than kickass webdesign. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] :rolleyes: :eek:

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread