ABW Ambassador
    On one of our sites, I'm attempting set up something where our users can update header/footer files located on their servers that will be inserted into templates on our servers. We offer a custom weather service, and currently our users have to submit their headers/footers to us and I add them to our server. Does anyone know of a way where they can update their own files on their servers and have it appear on the weather pages that are on our servers. I believe that javascript would work in this instance, but I was looking for something a little more efficient.

Tom Pyles

ABW Ambassador
    Tom, How about using an iframe in your ssi (.shtml) include. Then you can have the iframe redirect to their header / footer files.

Set it up once and you are good to go!

ABW Ambassador
    Breeze...this is something I thought about as well, but I'm worried about the sizing issues. I could set the frameset to a '*' relative value, but different users have different size logos...Thanks for the suggestion and I'll play around with it and see what can be done...thanks for the feedback (If only SSI could pull from an outside server).

Tom Pyles

could you use asp or something and store info in a database or something?

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: WebSearchEngines.net ]

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have my server set up for ASP...I don't know a lot about ASP anyway, but would something like this work?

Tom Pyles

ABW Ambassador
    Tom

Is this any good?

HeadFoot 1.0
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This pair of programs will automatically add a header and footer to your pages. This means that you can edit one file and have it automatically change in any number of files.
    Your server must allow SSI calls for this to work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://www.tectonicdesigns.com/freecgi/pindex.cgi

ABW Ambassador
    Guffy,
    I will give that a shot, but from what I see, it's referring to the same server (I only glanced it over so I may be wrong). To further explain, our website is myweathercenter.com. Webmasters can customize the weather to look exactly like their site, headers, footers, menus, or anything else. We only control the 'center content' of the weather page. I'd like to give webmasters a little more control over their weather sites, making updates easier and real time. As it stands now, they e-mail the header/footer, and they are served from our server. I'd like to be able to tell the webmaster to make a directory called weather on their site, and serve the files from there (hope that makes sense).

Tom Pyles

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Guffy! Good to see you posting again!

How goes the scripting with the hot or not deal?

I have had it on the back burner for many months now.

Did you ever figure it out???

Tom, I still say you should do it with an iframe, then have it redirect to your clients url.

Does anyone here have the code to add an iframe off hand?

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: breeze ]

Breeze,

What kind of iFrame? Specs?

I'll PM you the code.

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko, I am attempting to have a .shtml menu redirect to the main menu on another server.

This won't work with plain SSI. It loads the redirect page, then instead of redirecting just the include it redirects the whole page.

I just need an iframe 50 pix wide by 600 tall.

I think this will support the redirect I need.

Thanks!

ABW Ambassador
    Breeze,
    I'm still pondering the Iframe issue. I don't know how all browsers will handle it. I've used it on sites where the size of the frame was fixed. In this instance, a logo could be 30 pix high or 200 pix high (some have some very large logos)...I don't know about using a relative size, and how a browser would handle a relative (if it's even possible).

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'd like to be able to tell the webmaster to make a directory called weather on their site, and serve the files from there (hope that makes sense).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can they not set up the header/footer script on their server and call it as SSI like:
    (!--#exec cgi="http://www.theresite.com/cgi-bin/script.cgi" --)

I don't know if this would work as I never tried to call SSI from another server before.

Just an idea.

There is also an iframe thingy here but it's only IE compliant.
    Someone may know how to script it for all browsers. http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...docsindocs.htm

ABW Ambassador
    @Breeze
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hi Guffy! Good to see you posting again!
    How goes the scripting with the hot or not deal?
    I have had it on the back burner for many months now.
    Did you ever figure it out???
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks.
    I've been busy on a new site recently.
    The hot or not script seems to be working now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Just needs some traffic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    PM me when you move it to the front burner [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

@ Tom

ASP has a built in support for SSI. It is actually pretty simple to include a file in ASP, you don't even have to know ASP or code anything else in ASP. Here is what you need.

1. Your server has to support ASP script execution.
    2. The file name must be with an .ASP extension. I am talking about the file that you will include the other files in. The other (the included) files can be ANY extension you like.
    3. The code is simple, here it is:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">&lt; !--#include file="name of file" --&gt;</pre>...you put the virtual path to the file here. For example, if the file to be included is in the same directory as the one that you include the file in, then you say "file.htm" . DO NOT put "/" before "file.htm" . If it is in a different folder then you put the "/" after the folder name.

There is one problem with the inclusion of files in ASP though. When you put the virtual path to the file to be included, you can not go back in the hierarchy of the folders, you can only go higher. This may be a problem. For example, you cannot have this "../file.htm".

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: AlexBet ]

ABW Ambassador
    Alex,
    Thanks for the response, but I'm trying to serve the files from a different server. For example, lets say you were one of the websites using our weather. Instead of you e-mailing the needed header/footer and menu files (like we have been doing), you could just upload those files to your domain. Then when the weather script is called, it would pull your header/footer and menu from your server. This would give you control over the files and you could update them at any time, and you wouldn't have to do anything on our server at all. I'm attempting to pull the header from your site, to be place on top of the weather served at our site.

Tom Pyles

ABW Ambassador
    Tom, do you have the code which will add the iframe to a page?

I want to give this a shot myself.

Thanks,
    Breeze

ABW Ambassador
    Here it is:

(iframe id="datamain" src="external.htm" width=150 height=150 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 hspace=0 vspace=0 frameborder=1 scrolling=no)(/iframe)

Just replace the ( & ) with < & >

It works fine!!!

Could you use a bit of javascript to do it?
    Along these lines but it knows somehow dynamically where the template file is?
    http://www.aequorea.com/abw/js-include.htm

Is that rubbish?

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: WebSearchEngines.net ]

ABW Ambassador
    Javascript would probably work...that is something I've thought about...I was hoping for a simple server call...let me try that javascript and see what we can do!!! I've had trouble with JS in the past...that is why I've kind of been hoping for a better solution...we'll see what happens

Tom,

If I understood well, you are looking for this:
    http://www.freesticky.com/stickyweb/...es/syndasp.asp

This is ASP and I don't know if you can run ASP on your server. Hope it helps.

Tom,

Check out this page and the source code.
    www.searchany.com/tomspage.html

It's a simple to use script that can call any server.

Some things dont work for example you can't call frames pages.

If this would work for you go to www.smartcgis.com and down load the executer.cgi script. IT's Free!

ABW Ambassador
    'Your My Hero'...I will have to download it and see how I can incorporate it in our pages...from what I see, it is exactly what I was looking for...To throw a wrench into things, I should have mentioned that the weather script creates each page dynamically from a template...I will see what I can do to make that script work....Great Job Heyder...

Tom Pyles

Can someone explain very simply (Read that very simply) how to do a server side include? I want to get away from Front Page.

Please, step by step. Start with, "First you make a web page."

Most of the tutorials start with the assumption of too much prior knowledge and I don't find them helpful at all.

They don't even tell you how or where to put the tags on your page.

Please, a tutorial on the "See Spot Run" level. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It is possible to use an .htaccess file to allow you to use SSI without using the .shtml file type. If you need the code drop me a line

ABW Ambassador
    SSanf,
    I am in the process of putting together a tutorial for this. Should be up soon, if you can wait [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] There are several tutuorials out there, but it is pretty easy to do...

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread