When images don't show up like for instance the image no longer exists or there's something wrong with the file path, you get the dumb looking red x. Is there a way to set up your website so that you could have a defualt image to take the place of that red x?

My thoughts are it would be like a 404 page and I would use an image with text on it that say (image not available).

Hmmm, no easy way to do this. I guess it would be easiest to code this. I will tell you in plain words.

Show this image, but if you get a 404 error, then use "this" image. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Of course you have to translate this into some kind of code.

After a little more thought, I realize the (red x) is located on your computer not the server.

So could there be a way like with a java script to tell the persons computer to use image xyz instead of the default image x that is located on their computer.

What is the location of the broken image pic?

Heyder I don't know if I have understood your question correctly but,

Why do you not just make sure the images are there? :confused:

If it is an image from a merchant just copy it to your server and change the code to suit.

Well the question isn't just for me. If we could come up with a way to control what pic is used if it's even a pic and set a replacement image instead of the no image found thing, there could be many potential uses such as advertising.

Imagine your website sets the user computer to display your image every single time any other website has a broken image.

As for why I don't just go and fix the images. Well that's not really the case but I do now use gocollects database and there are a few broken images that I have no conrol of and I'm not going to spend the time looking over 32,000 files to find them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Imagine your website sets the user computer to display your image every single time any other website has a broken image.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, this is both brilliant and terrifying. I really hope no one learns how to do this, and, if they do, I hope it becomes common knowledge how to change it back!

Now I understand, WOW!! you are a sneaky little guy aren't you ? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It sounds like a great idea to me, I will have a look round and see if I can find anything.

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder...I have no idea how it's done, but it can be done [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] On our weather pages, there is something set up in the script that if an image is not available, it shows an image with a questionmark, and a not saying image not available. Our weather is currently down, however, becuase of the upgrade...have to get some more modules installed.

Tom Pyles

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread