I have a friend who noticed that he has files called filelist.xml on his web server, he thinks he was hacked, and that the files weren't there before, but I've found references on Microsoft's site that makes it look like it is some sort of directory typs of fat, and that it just lists the files in the directory, but I can't find a good definition of what it is and what it really does? Can anyone help me with what the file is and what it does?

ABW Ambassador
    No there is no hacking action going on here.
    I don't know enough about it to offer an explanation from a technical angle, but what I can tell you is this:
    filelist.xml is a file that is automatically generated by certain programs (microsoftword and microsoft publisher, among others) which "tags along" with pages created by that program when you upload the pages to your server. If you delete it your graphics may not appear on your pages.

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: deelz ]

qball,

No room for panic. I agree with Deelz. Some programs tend to write this kind of a file and your friend probably uploaded it to his server along with the other files. I think Frontpage creates such files, but I am not sure as I use Dreamweaver.

ABW Ambassador
    On the uploading front: if you upload your page through a file manager (instead of FTP) the filelist.xml will "tag along" and upload automatically, even though you did not select it.
    The purpose or function I do not know, but in any case, it is nothing to worry about.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread