Has anyone designed an intranet site? I would like to log what pages are being visited each day. I don't want to put a internet visitor counter on each page. There must be some code that u can put on each page that will log each hit. Basicly i need the code that internet counter sites use to log our stats.
    Any ideas?
    Mike
    tree@randombints.com

Welcome !

Windows and Linux/Unix servers are a bit different. Which is your site built on?

The site is on a windows networked server.

That rules out remotely-hosted apps like WebTrendsLive. Too bad you didn't say Linux ... (Windows is a "second language" for me ).

Anyway try one of these scripts - they are all in ASP :
    http://www.hotscripts.com/ASP/Script...ffic_Analysis/

Tree,

Don't worry, there IS a way to log visits on Windows Intranets. This must be set by your server admin though (I am sure you have this option enabled), because you need administrator rights to change settings for webs.

There is an option to log visits in the settings for a website, and they generate server log files. You can talk to your server admin to put the files in your Intranet site's directory, so you can easily access them. He/she only has to change the path where the server log files are generated, and you will have them in your directory.

The BEST part is that you can then analyze those log files with WebTrends EASILY.

There is also an option where you can choose what information is written to the log files, but I don't know if your server admin will be willing to do this for. It is a 1 min. job, but sometimes you have those admins that just "don't have the time".

I also have a comment to make.

Why do Unix people think that Windows has less options then the Spectrum computer from the 80s!?!? :confused: I guess it's the lack of information for Windows, and the bragging of their Unix friends. :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why do Unix people think that Windows has less options then the Spectrum computer from the 80s!?!? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't say as I know the answer to that as I've never heard anyone say it myself. I am just absolutely in awe of Windows people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I guess it's the lack of information for Windows, and the bragging of their Unix friends. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could be. I know it's been a looooong time since I got my IIS4 and NT4.0 and have forgotten a lot. I haven't worked on a Windoze network in a while but I took a shot at it since all the very knowledgable people were apparently not around yesterday and I didn't want to make the assumption that he has an amiable Network Administrator ... "amiable Network Administrator" is something of a oxymoron [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Alex since you obviously are very knowledgeable, could you please take a look at the question I posted yesterday under Access/MySQL?

Thanks,

Kathryn

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Hope this help. Let me know if you have problem. I've used this and it's working fine.

Make a MS Access file called "counter.mdb"
    Create a table called "hit_count", inside it create a field called:
    - page_name (var char/text 255)
    - hit_count (number)
    Put counter.asp and counter.mdb in the same directory.

Insert this in EVERY PAGES before the HTMLs code.
    < !-- #INCLUDE FILE="counter.asp" -->
    (you have to change this depending where you put your file is)

Make an ASP file called "counter.asp"
    Below is what counter.asp should be:

Haiko,

I've problems posting the code...it said something about the HTML tag.....

I'm trying to post VBScript code.

Tree,

I send the code thru email, since I can't post it here.

XO - could I get a copy of the code too? I'd know how to do that in Coldfusion but I'd like to see how it's done in ASP.

Got it - thanks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hope it's working.

I've used it before and it's working fine.
    You can then code an .asp file that will do the reporting works. I've done this before but don't have the file right now.

Thanks everyone for your comments, you have been very useful.
    I'll now have to try an implament it
    Mike

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread