ABW Ambassador
    I'm starting to have nightmares over this..
    I have a table which has 500 or so products all sorted into different categories, etc.

There are a few fields, but the ones I am using for this query are prod_price and prod_listprice.

What I want to do is run a query on this table that returns the products from a certain category (I know this bit already), but I want those results sorted in the % saving so that I can output the top 5 % savings for this category.

Here's one I've tried, but didn't work.. I hope I'm looking in the right direction.
    SELECT * FROM shop_products WHERE prod_cat="My Category" ORDER BY ((prod_listprice-prod_price)/prod_listprice);

I know the problem is that I have to sort the list by an actual column name and not a calculation, but maybe there is another command that will let me perform the calculation.

I know of one solution, but that would mean adding a new column with that % saving already calculated, but that would mean changing a *lot* of code.

any suggestions?

ABW Ambassador
    OK, just in case anyone's interested, I figured it out without adding the additional column to the table.

SELECT *,((prod_listprice-prod_price)/prod_listprice) AS val FROM shop_products WHERE prod_cat = "My Category" GROUP BY val ORDER BY val DESC

It works, so I'm not going to mess with it anymore [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread