I'm quite good in CGI and started to learn PHP - it's actually very simmilar, maybe just a little easier to learn.

So, now I know'em both and can't decide which one to use! :confused: Please give me some good arguments why use one instead of the other! (= stupid question, I know [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] : Which one's better?)

It all depends on what you're using it for. I don't want to open myself up to flames by saying which I think is better for what purpose... Well meaning tho it is, I have never seen Language A vs. Language B questions not start a flame war ... as does the Windows/*nix controversy.

The answer - IMHO, from my experience - the best language is the one at which you are most proficient and enjoy working with the most. The more proficient you are in a language, the better able you are to efficiently work around it's shortcomings.

(grammar edits)

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

PHP combined with a poweful database like MySql is the way to go in my opinion. Remember though that there is nothing stopping you from using both. I still use certain cgi scripts here and there even though most of my sites are running php.(PHP-Nuke)

I program pretty extensively in a variety of languages -- PHP, Perl, Cold Fusion, etc...

I really like PHP for website-type stuff. It's really well designed for the web, which perl(aka cgi) has been sort of shoe-horned into the roll. Don't get me wrong, it seems to work well and it's hard to beat the unbelievable flexibility of perl, but it seems unnecessarily complicated at times.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread