ABW Ambassador
    Here is what I'm working with. I've set up a database driven site that will handle many of our affiliate links. There is a search option that pulls up any records in the database. One of the fields I've created in the database is for keywords for the merchant. The software we are using tries to place the keywords on the page, so I have commented them out...the search for a keyword will turn up the merchant, however, I'm worried about having all of these keywords commented out on the page. If I recall, this will get ya banned from most search engines (at least the important ones). Am I correct on that statement. I could spend some time and work with the coding in the program we are using, but thought I'd ask first...besides, if it isn't looked upon negatively, it may even help to have them there for the spiders to munch on. Would it be in my best interest to leave them, or modify the script to not show them?

ABW Ambassador
    Can you put them in the meta tags? We have a site that has many ways to look at the data, the simplest is a list with each entry having its own keywords stuff in meta tags that don't appear to the readers. The pages do very well on google, so I guess you must not get penalized.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Not in this case...it is a yahoo style directory with 10 merchants on each page. The meta tags on those pages are category specific and not merchant specific. If it were a merchant per page, then I could pull it off (the program has an option for that, but I didn't care for the results). All pages are dynamically created so I wouldnt be able to go in and edit each page...that would just be overwritten when I added new merchants, etc.

Tom,

I am using a database for my affiliate links too. But instead of using keywords commented on the pages, I use decritpitons for the websites. I keep the keywords only for the search on my page. This way, I get very good results with the SEs and never been banned.

ABW Ambassador
    Alex,
    Thanks for the reply. I use descriptions too, but I don't have every keyword in the description....When somebody puts in a search term, I want to make sure that the right merhcants come up. I'm working on the modification to the script. It isn't that hard, but if were to 'help' me in the search engines, then I was going to leave it there. FYI, Haiko and I are working on that previous issue and it will be straight soon. Keep your eyes peeled [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I think you're in a dangerous area -- and certainly something that will get you reported as a spammer by competitors.

I use a keyword field, but it's only available via the database search, it's not part of the html pages.

ABW Ambassador
    You know...I never even looked at it from that aspect. One thing I haven't done is the few years of doing this is to make a lot of enemies....Your right...one guy to look at the source and there could be problems. In all honesty, modifying the script isn't that difficult of a task...but was wonder maybe I would have been better of not doing the modification. Thanks for the advice guys [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    TRUST ME, a keyword field is NOT a waste of time -- at least not if you provide a search field for your visitors. They WILL use it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Cedric,
    I will have the keyword field in the database, loaded with tons of keywords...It was a matter of having this inserted into the dynamically created html pages. I try to cover a lot of that in the description or title...I've taken them out of the HTML and left them in the database...can't fault me for trying [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread