This is really great .. no more 404 links, but when I run the pages through HTML validators always get Error: empty container element SCRIPT

Also, when running a page at the site that let's you see your page as the SE's see it,
    (delorie.com/web/ses.cgi) nothing shows within the SCRIPT .. so I imagine an SE would think I have a page with nothing on it within that space. I know to put as much as possible in the headers, etc., but is there a way to make what's within the SCRIPT available to the eyes of an SE?

Don't know if I'm in the right forum/topic to ask this, and read that David is great at support, but it's night time and thought one of you would be able to answer it here quicker rather than write to him.

Thanks for any help re this!

Totter

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Totter ]

Amazon.pl doesn't create static HTML , so searchengine robots will not see the content produced by Amazon.pl if you use the script tag. The only way Robots will see content is by using pages produced by amazon.pl , for instance this page.

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Matlok ]

Thanks, Matlok

I don't think I completely understand how you did that but it's only been all night so maybe when the sun comes up it will dawn on me!

Appreciate your reply!

Totter

What Matlock is trying to say is that if you use a text link with the href=yourdomain.com/cgi-binorwhatever/amazon.pl?type=search&keyword=cgi&mode=books or something to that effect, then the bot will follow the link and pick up the produced HTML.

I realized too late that one site I produced with the allposters.pl would look a bit like spam to a bot, since I have things like "ThisName Soundtrack" and then only the script produced results below. I went back and changed my templates to include a text link which anchors to the amazon.pl results produced by calling the script.

Does that make any sense? For every time you use the script tags, make sure that you have a text tag also calling for the same results (just kill the "script&" at the beginning of the same href, and if you like, also kill the grid setup, and if you like even more, don't forget to specify which site template to use [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). The bots will spider the results and be happy that you are linking to context relevant material. Also, any folks who have javascript disables will then also have a link to the results page.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Webmistress....that was what I was trying to say [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks, Webmistress and Matlok again, but I still can't get the stuff to show up as an SE see's it at Delorie's place. Have tried to follow your instructions upsidedown, sideways, and standing on my head.

Is there another place beside's Delorie to see if it's coming out right?

Thanks again you "guys"

Totter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Totter:
    Thanks, Webmistress and Matlok again, but I still can't get the stuff to show up as an SE see's it at Delorie's place. Have tried to follow your instructions upsidedown, sideways, and standing on my head.

Is there another place beside's Delorie to see if it's coming out right?

Thanks again you "guys"

Totter
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totter,

When you use the SCRIPT tag embedded in an HTML page, the results appear in the page by using JavaScript which is run by the web browser. Search engine spiders ignore SCRIPT include tags since they can't run JavaScript. So if you use SCRIPT tags, the results will not be spiderable (this is true for any SCRIPT or JavaScript on your webpage; not just amazon.pl).

If on the other hand, you use amazon.pl templates then the results are generated via raw HTML and thus the search engine spiders will see the results.

As an example, see my website www.buy-here-and-save.com The six product rows on the right-hand side are generated using six SCRIPT tags. So the right-hand side is not spiderable. On the left-hand side, the "Categories" box contains links that use amazon.pl such as "Books". Spiders will see this link and follow it and spider the page dynamically generated by this link and also follow/spider any links to subpages on that page. Same goes for all the other Categories links on that home page.

For information on how to use templates, see the amazon.pl documentation. If you have any other questions, let me know via email or PM or a post here.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Affiliate Scripts | linkGravity

David,

I read the template page you linked above and think I get it now .. hadn't really paid enough attention to that page before.

Thanks!
    Totter

Webmistress! At first It didn't really make sense but I printed it out, stuffed it in a pocket, went on vacation and read it so many times it was dog-eared and then realized I had "spaced out" the word "anchor". Just got home, did what you said, and have to say "Bless you my child, from here to eternity!" I get it now! Maybe not all of it, but it works!

Going to prowl your site now to see if there's something on it that will answer some parts of your instructions I don't quite understand but got to Thank You! You really are a "webmistress" ... thought before it was just a cute name!

Totter

Action Jackson - King of the World
    wish there were some scripts you could get for free for us starting out webmasters:P

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You can get David's AllPosters script for free IF you sign up for AllPosters under him.

Check out his page BEFORE you sign up for AllPosters--the link you have to use to get to AllPosters is on it.

There's also quite a few free scripts if you look in Google but I haven't seen any "out there" like the Amazon or the Allposters ones.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>wish there were some scripts you could get for free for us starting out webmasters:P<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    http://www.absolutefreebies.com/dire...on-search.html

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread