I am developing a search toolbar for my website and am looking about for a script of some sort that will allow me to view how many people have downloaded that file.

Does anyone know of or use anything that would allow me to do this?

Thanks,
    jq

I would use Graphic Counter Language for that purpose. It allows you to write a counter that will serve that file while keeping the exact count internally within the script itself.

You can find it here. It is free. The only catch, your web site must be on a Unix system.

If you are using ASP, you can use MM-Inet's download script located at http://www.mm-inet.com/vb/download/download_script.zip

I don't know about your programming experience, but that is rather simple to do, I do it to count how many times a link has been clicked on.

What you do is, you read the link (for the file) from a database and display it on the page. Each link has to have a unique number, or name for that file. When a user clicks on it, you direct the link to a script that will add up one more click in the field for that file, and then redirect the user to the file. That's it, simple no?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What you do is, you read the link (for the file) from a database and display it on the page. Each link has to have a unique number, or name for that file. When a user clicks on it, you direct the link to a script that will add up one more click in the field for that file, and then redirect the user to the file. That's it, simple no?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good tip Alex. There is a script I have (but haven't used is quite sometime) that is a drop-down menu script that keeps track of how many times somebody dropped down the menu and clicked on a link. If you think something like this would work for you, I'd be more than happy to get it to you.

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: TH Media ]

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread