ABW Ambassador
    I see that some merhants are starting to use data feeds. Is there any particular program that I would have to add to be able to utilize the data feeds? I am totally in the dark about this as well as CVS files. Once you download a csv file what application would you use to open it with? Once the data feed is received do you have to convert it to html and then upload to your server? Totally totally lost here. Hope there is a simple answer for this. While waiting for your replies I am off to search the net to see if I can find something I can read up on.
    Thanks
    One confused Cazzie :confused:

why not take a look at cuisimano's scripts? http://cusimano.com I think.

I am really curious about that too cazzie... I would love to have someone post a list of merchants that have "data feeds" as well as any information about it from someone who knows more. I am in the dark as far as that stuff goes.

CSV files are opened by Microsoft Excel I think. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Core

ABW Ambassador
    I also thought Microsoft Excel did that unfortunately I have Microsoft works and I don't think that will work with it. From what I have learned so far you have to have a data driven web site and I think software to be able to create it with. Not sure but I think PHP and that my/sql stuff is what is needed. I checked out the scripts offered by (excuse the spelling) Cuisamano but he does not have CJ scripts yet. On another note where does a person find the data feeds on CJ I took a look but guess I am not looking hard enough.
    Thanks
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

CSV files can be opened with any text editor. You can make your own csv file and I will do so below

title, subject, info 1, info 2

dogs, bad dogs, how to cut their hair, blah blah blah

okay that is one line in a csv format. TO ad more information you would hit the return key and add another line such as

cats, bad cats, how to bathe a cat, blah blah blah

That is all a csv file is. Simply a text file with data seperated by commas.

To make a csv file do anything you need a program on your server that can read one and tell it how to display the information.

There are many available and each are capable of doing different things. Cus scripts is one that tends to be easier on the eyes than most I have tried.

Cazzie,

I am currently trying to learn PHP and MySQL. I found a good book. It is thick but it has a TON of good information. The book is called, "PHP and MYSQL Web Development." I got it @ Barnes and Noble so it should be available online. Set me back around $50 but will be well worth it.

Core

I get totally lost when it comes to data feeds. I'm in the process of working with someone who's creating a database for my site. What a nightmare!

It will eventually make sense I guess, but I feel the same now as I did the first time I tried to figure out what HTML did! :confused:

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder
    Thanks you explained the csv file nicely and now I know how to open one that I downloaded. You saved the day! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Andy,
    Thats what I am afraid of. But I guess anything new is hard and once you learn it you say OH nothing to it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Core, Maybe one day soon I will buy it from one of my links. Might as well make a commission on it. Sounds like it will take some time to learn.
    Thanks All
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I've found the easiest way to incorporate data from a CSV, or any other text file for that matter, is with simple perl scripts.

I'm no programming genius either - I simply downloaded free scripts from the many available free resources around the net and hacked, stiched and learned from them.

All of the joke pages on Joke-Zone are built dynamically using just this type of technology.

I would like to learn PHP some day as it looks pretty powerful, but I just haven't found the time yet.

Count me in on the database research division [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] . I use Cusimano scripts. I never even look at the csv file from GoCollect, just unzip it and upload to server. Upload the script files and templates, login via telnet and tell the server to run the script. Poof, the magic script fairy from Cusimano scripts produces HTMl files from that csv (comma separated variables) file and template files. (Though when I have looked at csv files, I do open them in Excel since you can tell it to put each comma separated variable into its own cell and the carriage return means a new row).

Spent the last few hours fighting a headache last night reading the Macromedia site on ColdFusion. High ticket program, but I think what I'll do is set up shop and then download the 30 day trial. If I can get a site up, put some paid traffic on it to see conversions, then I'll do the calculations to see if buying it is a good ROI.

Otherwise it's hit the ole PHP/MySQL teeth breakers.{ouch, eech, youch}

Things I learned last night:
    SQL means Structured Query Language.
    I need a web server installed on my Windoze box to play the game locally.

Last time I tried to take time to do any playing with databases I found some of the tutorials at WebMonkey.com to be helpful.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Cazzie,

You can also open csv files with Works. I do it all the time. It just makes them a bit easier to read. Just right click the file and choose "Open with" and the select MS Works. MS Works will open and choose "Spread Sheet" and then the radio button "Windows as Text." Viola all the info is in nice columns for you with the headers in place. Hope that helps.

I also recently converted a site from straight HTML to PHP and MySQL. I got a guy from Russia through e-lance to do all the coding for me for about $200. Money well worth it for me since I just didn't have the time to learn PHP. I love it! Different sections of my pages relate to different templates so I can make global changes across the site by making the change only once. The pages load extremely fast and I've been able to automate many tasks which saves me tons of time. I can add affiliate links by using a web based form and set expiration dates for offers that run a limited time. I have one script which will tell me all expired offers for easy removal and another that will validate all links for ones that are dead. The best $200 bucks I ever spent. When I saw how many files were required for everything, I was really glad I didn't try to tackle it myself. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Although it would be nice to know a bit so I could modify prewritten scripts to meet my specific needs. Maybe in my free time.......

I too am curious where these cj data feeds are located. I looked and didn't find anything in that nature. Surely I wasn't looking in the right spot.

I was learning php, and it drove me nuts. I have a friend who has set up a database for me, and I will be changing my site over in nov. Im going to wait til I get closer to that time to dig in further with it. Its phpnuke database, thats all I know, he knows alot about it.

Like someone said, when I was playing with the program i'll say, for a few weeks, it was quick and easy. You can put in your affiliate links, and it will automatically set the date of your choice. When the link expires poof! its gone,you don't have to go back and look and remove expireing links.

Total control over hits on links, pages, images everything. Links are counted too, you can see a number say #456 and then so on.
    So you can do some great things with that information. What gets me, and is confusing is it uses modules and blockes compared to tables and such. Like a different language, but I get so lost as to where things go! LOL.
    I click it and then put it there, and I can't find it! LOL

Ill hit the books again in october!

webmistress, I wanted to say, I use Macromedia, dreamweaver, love it, you can be novice to advanced with this. I heard alot good about all the other products. There are forums you can post in like this one. All Macromedia stuff. The site has alot of information on it too.
    Just thought this would help.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread