I am attempting to post some HTML in here, don't know if it will work, I will take brackets out.
    I want to get my meta tags and description exactly right. Does it matter where I enter it between the head tags? Can I take out the "stock" front page express tags? (see below)What about text wrapping? Is it better to type the code in (by going to view-html in front page express)or can I copy and paste from word pad?
    Thanks for any help.
    I know this is probably a painfully silly question but I want to get it exactly right before I publish about ten pages.
    head
    meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
    content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
    meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage Express 2.0"
    titlemysitename.title
    head

Sorry I did not think of using the meta tag generator here at ABW. (doing a lot of reading [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )
    Can I take the code from the meta tag generator and paste it over all of this code that is built in to a front page express template?
    Thanks again

I always did it 'file - page properties - custom - add' and added tags that way if they weren't already there.

>I want to get my meta tags and description exactly right. Does it matter where I enter it between the head tags?

Probably not. It used to be that 'title' should be first, but as far as I know that advice is obsolete.

>Can I take out the "stock" front page express tags?

I'd leave the 'content type' one in.

>What about text wrapping?

It doesn't matter except to make your code look neat and easier to edit.

>Is it better to type the code in (by going to view-html in front page express)or can I copy and paste from word pad?

I always had difficulty getting the editor to accept any revision so I did it as specified above.

Dunno about wordpad but notepad can certainly be trusted. Wordpad looks to me like it might try to apply text formatting.

I

ABW Ambassador
    Don't know about the other stuff, but the title tag should still really be first. It is correct html and this is also where the search engines expect to see it, so you may as well give them what they want.

Thank you.

ABW Ambassador
    Icicle - i'm fairly certain that to comply properly with HTML standards a single meta tag must start and finish on the same line.

I also think the search engine spiders would be looking for this and may stop crawling pages if this is not the case.

There's a free HTML validation service at http://validator.w3.org/

You're both probably quite right. I only answered because it looked like no-one else was going to.

I'm thinking though that FPX didn't put the title tag first. I don't recall any problems getting ranked - but I was new to it all.

Then again, if google ignores any meta tag except the title - would it matter where it was?

I

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: Icicle ]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread