Would you use something like this for a page showing 13 magazines? If not, how would you rewrite it?

"pagan wiccan occult witch witch craft wicca magic magick herbal religion religious magazines magazine periodical store shop buy for sale esoteric occult read reading vegetarianism gay life environmental concerns Magical Blend Mother Earth News Earth Island Journal Mother Jones Natural Health Alternative Medicine Consumer Reports on Health Cat Fancy Dog Fancy Health Veggie Life POZ Advocate Vegetarian Times Medical Update Herbs For Health totalhealth pagan wiccan occult witch witch craft wicca magic magick herbal religion religious magazines magazine periodical store shop buy for sale esoteric occult read reading vegetarianism gay life environmental concerns"

Anyhow, I want to know about if you do key phrases, should I put commas around the phrase or will the search engines just look at the individual words as they are and create the phrases? If so, am I better off without commas to allow as much flexibility as possible? Exactly how do you target a phrase in the keywords? What about the repetitions of words? too little, or much, just right?

Should I put the magazine titles in front of all the rest or is keeping them in the middle more likely to get Pagans? Should the titles be in commas?

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

ABW Ambassador
    You're not selling pagans, you're selling magazines. Keep the focus there.

focus your page on a small number of target search terms (not a list of keywords) - use wordtracker to identify the target search terms relevant to your page content

Actually, I am not selling magazines, exactly. I am selling magazines that are of interest to Pagans on a small page in a very large site.

I'm selling exclusively Pagan products on a pretty much Pagans only web site. I guess, you would have to see it in context. It is only one page out of about a hundred I have outlined.

The target audience is Pagans who are independently wealthy or who have jobs and who are looking for magazines they would like to read. Non-Pagans who find the page are most likely to just click away when the see the page.

Is your advise still the same?

What about the commas business? Should the titles of the magazines have commas or not?

I keep hearing about targeting keyword phrases in the meta tags. Do you do that with commas around the phrase?

Example: Would you use "athame,ritual knife,black handled athame,wooden handled arhame". Or, would you use "athame ritual knife black handle handled wooden"

I don't have word tracker and am unlikely to get it due to the outrageous price for short term use but I did check this out as well as I could and I think I have a goodun.
    Lots and lots of searches on the URL I just bought.

This time I am not going to post the site info. I am putting too much work into this project. I know everyone understands.

Most recent estimation is that there are now 9,000,000 of us in the US. Seems like only yesterday that they would only admit to 100,000.

LOL well, now, you have to admit if I do anything well, it is keep my focus!!! LOL

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Actually, I am not selling magazines, exactly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Wrong answer.

On that page, you're selling magazines.

For that page, the goal is to reach people who are interested in those magazines and their topics. That is all that matters. Whether the people who arrive on that page are pagan, hooligan, mulligan, whatever is immaterial. On that page you are selling magazines, and every word, every phrase needs to be aimed at 1) getting the page found by targeted prospects, and 2) sending them through to the merchant in the mood to buy.

Anything else is not marketing, it's something else, and will only get in the way.

You are making some really counter-productive assumptions if you think that pagans are the only folks who would be interested in titles like Mother Earth News or Mother Jones, or topics like vegetarianism or alternative therapies. Sell the products first and foremost, without religious labelling!

Regarding the commas, I'm not sure it matters much, as so few search engines pay much attention to the keywords metatag these days. I usually leave them out, on the theory that it's more productive to use the character count for a word that means something. I think you have way too many words in your list, which will water down the significance of everything (to say nothing of what bloated code does to your page load speed). Remove any words that do not also appear in the visible page content, and look for ways to arrange the rest into phrases that targeted prospects might use when searching, with as little duplication as possible.

Look for ways to get the same phrase possibilities out of fewer words. For instance, suppose you were selling Country Life and also Life magazine - put "country life magazine" rather than listing each title separately. It's like "before and after" on Wheel of Fortune.

Buckworks is dead right there. You are not promoting your site on that page you are promoting magazines. You should have the metas to reflect the page they are on otherwise they are not doing much good. Even if the search engines pick them up do you want visitors looking for a candle (say) to end up on your page that is selling magazines?.

OK, Thanks. I will do it your way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    As Buckworks said about the importance of keywords.

The importance of key words and phrases appearing in your title, description, and body text (first and last paragraph in particular) outweighs the importance of meta keywords by a grand margin. (alt. text in hyperlinks helps too.)

Your page title and content are of primary and critical importance. Meta keywords are of tertiary importance. At least in the most important places (google) they are of no importance whatsoever.

I had to reply to this one.
    Thanks for the question and thanks for the answers.
    I learned much from this thread.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread