ABW Ambassador
    I am looking for an easy script that will take csv data and turn it into html. Would prefer a perl script that's easily installable and configurable. Does anybody know of one?

Mike

ABW Ambassador
    I am interested in this as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    eaglefire-thanks. What I am looking for is a script that someone has used and can recommend. I have viewed a number of the scripts on the script sites but they all are either too complicated to make work or they lack the functionality that I am looking for.

Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Why not write your own - or hack an existing one to suit your purposes? It's not really that hard.

If you want some help pm me with your specs.

I've asking about the same thing.

The scripts on hotscripts vary too much in quality and price! and usually require the step of setting up a mysal db on a server.

I'd like something like what David Cusimano has for his gollect script, but for a csv I create.

Is it *really* that easy to write your own? Or hack one?

ABW Ambassador
    You could try looking at this one.
    "T2T converts delimited files to HTML tables"
    http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm

I think Heyder mentioned it sometime back.
    I can't comment if it's any good or not as I haven't used it, and it's not a perl script but it may be a starting point for you guys.

It all depends on what you want the delimited file to look like in HTML. The most logical way would be to display it in a table. Any other way would essentially be a custom app. If I get time this weekend I will bang out a script to do this...

One of my top recommendations to anyone in the Internet marketing field is to learn how to program in a scripting language like PHP or Perl. I learned to program in Perl 3 years ago and it has helped my efforts IMMENSELY. I have since gone on to learn PHP (my scripting language of choice now) and MySQL. There are many times when I need a special task for my site (like the script in this thread) and there just isn't any script which is generic enough. This is when being able to program really pays off.

If you are looking to learn, you may want to stop by Amazon or your local library for a book on PHP or Perl.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you are looking to learn, you may want to stop by Amazon or your local library for a book on PHP or Perl<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which would you recommend first? PHP or Perl? I'm not very smart, so I would need the easier of the two.

Perl is a great language, but I would recommend PHP for ease of learning.

Not that Perl is difficult, but the language has gone through so many iterations that a common complaint I've heard from those unfamiliar with the language is that it looks like spaghetti code. It's NOT, it's just that with Perl there are a dozen different ways to accomplish the same task and it can be confusing.

ABW Ambassador
    eaglefire,

Truer words were never spoken. I took a script that will display the csv file but I wanted it to search and sort so I went looking for another script that would allow me to do it and after looking at a couple dozen scripts, a number of them wouldn't work, it became rather apparent that you can do something a million different ways. I gave up and am now learning php and MySQL to make possbile what I want to do.

Mike

[ 07-20-2002: Message edited by: Dr. Evil ]

The agony and ecstacy of Perl, is that the scripts and libraries that were in use 7 years ago are still around and in use today -Matt's Scripts, formmail, cgi-lib.pl etc.
    Consequently there is an overwhelmingly enourmous body of work.

If I were just starting to learn Perl today, I would grab the most basic of Perl tutorials, then bypass all that legacy crap and go straight to Damian Conway's book Object Oriented Perl. But as someone who started out with procedural programming (in C), OOP is still a bit hard to wrap my head around.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread