I have an old Compaq Presario CDS 524 that I do not use as the meory is to small/slow for all the programs I use. I am thinking of converting it to unix or linux (I don't know which it is) to enable me to run perl scripts that I am going to write so I can test them and see if they work without having to keep uploading them to my server.

Can this be done?
    What would I have to do?
    Is it worth doing it?

Thanks in advance

It would be Linux [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] and yes there's a linux that will run on as little as 100MB of disk space and 4MB of memory so you should be fine.

Without knowing what specs your old system has, I'd say use Slackware as it is very easy to set up on older computers.

Don't bother with Mandrake unless you've got at least a pentium processor in it.

You can download binaries of almost all versions of Linux, but IMHO it is much easier installing from a CD. There is a set that comes out every year or so with 5 or 6 different flavors of Linux and sells very reasonably... maybe someone else knows what it is called... I can't find mine at the moment. I *think* it was put out by Walnut Creek. That way you can experiment to find the one you like best and that runs best on your system.

But you don't have to do any of that to run Perl on your computer. You can run it on your PC with Personal Webserver and the Active Perl download from Active State.

I have already got active perl on my computer. This will run the script and show the results but will not allow me to open a new window/html page to see the results as they would be seen on a proper web page.
    It only comes up in a window that is like the "MS-DOS" window.
    Will the Personal Webserver allow me to view the results on an ordinary "windows" window like the public will view it?

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread