I am trying to build a form that will send the form contents to an email address that is specified by the user, ie: the user fills out the form, enters an email address and the form is sent to that address. I can't work out how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of script are you using to process the form data and what errors are you getting when you try to use it?

Hi Eaglefire,

I havn't found a script that can do it. I have been searching for days with no luck. Do you know of any? I have no idea how to write one so I need to find an existing script.

There are a bunch of scripts on http://hotscripts.com

Keep in mind that many hosts will not let you send form data to a 3rd party from a 3rd party. The From: part of the message header has to be a user on the system - user@yourdomain.com .

ABW Ambassador
    You can also try http://www.cgi-resources.com and what I'd look for is a Tell-A-Friend (TAF) script. They're set up to do exactly what you want and could probably be hacked up a bit to meet your needs (dependent on how much hacking you're comfortable with...).

Thanks heaps Eaglefire and Cedric,

I managed to find a script that would do want I want. I have another question. If I was to send someone an HTML email that had a button in it that, when clicked, would forward that email to a pre defined email address, what would the code behind that button be?

I have no idea. I know "mailto" won't work. Is there such a command as "forwardto:"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is there such a command as "forwardto:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not that I have heard of. AFAIK you would either have to include an Activex control in the message that would complete the action in the email program (keeping in mind that many email programs block Activex emails for virus control reasons), or have the button submit the data to another script on your server where the forwarding address is then filled in and sent.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread