ABW Ambassador
    This has been bugging me for a while, Now I'm not techie, smart, but am not a techey person when It comes to what search engines read or how they read them.

so I put a footer in as a "include page" this is part of my navigation.

I know that Google can read it, (but if I have the footer on 20 pages with 10 links in the footer) Does google read the footer.html as One page or does it read it as the 20 pages it's part of.

So does putting your navigation bar in the footer beneficial, or is better just to copy and paste the table into each page.

------------------------------------------------------------Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open. Thomas Dewar

Google an other search engines will see the footer as part of the pages it is included on and won't list it seperately from the others.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So does putting your navigation bar in the footer beneficial, or is better just to copy and paste the table into each page.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you copy and past a table onto each page, you have to edit ALL the pages that use the navigation instead of changing just one page and letting Frontpage update the pages for you.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.
    Rule of acquisition #80

ABW Ambassador
    So Google doesn't see that the page is called footer.html then is what your saying, it reads it as the whole original page.

And the footer.html links will count (as 20 links per page) as each page's link contribution.

so if I have a shoes page, and there's 20 pages in that site, and I put all 20 links to the site in the footer, Google will read that shoes has 20 links connected to it right?

------------------------------------------------------------Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open. Thomas Dewar

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Canfree:
    So Google doesn't see that the page is called footer.html then is what your saying, it reads it as the whole original page.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That's what I'm saying [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And the footer.html links will count (as 20 links per page) as each page's link contribution.

so if I have a shoes page, and there's 20 pages in that site, and I put all 20 links to the site in the footer, Google will read that shoes has 20 links connected to it right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is something I am not too knowledgeable about, so I'm unable to answer that part, sorry. I'm sure someone who does know the answer to that will tell you the answer.

[edit]

This seems to be in the wrong place!!! Should be at the bottom

[/edit]

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.
    Rule of acquisition #80

[This message was edited by fish on August 28, 2002 at 01:01 PM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If the SE robot accesses the page like a browser ..then the Insert page command..will render to it the same way as a web browser. Just view source from your browser to verify how it will look to the SE.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    The spider will see whatever you see with view source (assuming you're not cloaking), ignoring most javascript, most css, etc.

Yes CanFree, Google sees the page as if you had put the information on footer.html directly into the page instead of using Include Page.

I've found that Include Page to be a wonderful tool. For instance, on every page of my site I include a copy of my mother's book with a link to B&N. This came in so handy when Amazon dropped the book because they were incorrectly informed that it was out of print. (And I'm still fighting with them to get them to put it back.) Instead of changing 190 pages at my site, I just had to change the coding on the one advertising page, and then it updated every single page at my site.

I also use it at the bottom of every page for all my copyright information, and disclaimers, as well as a google search box. If I want add to or reword the disclaimer, change it once and all pages are updated.

Absolutely wonderful feature of Frontpage!

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread