Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am being bombarded by an Indian site named netkhajana that keeps subscribing to my newsletter thinking they are going to make money! Does anyone know how I can get them, the domain name, banned from being able to see my site? I tried asking my web host but they can't do it. Please help - is there a script out there I can use? Thank you.

Maria at ItsRainingBargains.com

If you are on *nix, you can keep them from accessing your site by putting the following lines in your .htaccess file:

<Limit GET POST>
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
    deny from IP.ADDRESS.TOBAN.
    </Limit>

So if their IP address is 255.255.255.255 put in the first three parts of the IP address like this:

That will keep them from accessing your website, if that is what you're trying to do.

{

Stuff that makes me go, "huh?"

thanks for your post.....I know I am going to sound stupid, but what does it mean "if you are on *nix"? I guess if I don't know what that means I'm not on it?

What type of host are you on? Linux, Unix or Windows? We use *nix to keep from having to type out both Linux and Unix [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

{

Also, how would I know the site's IP address?

Thanks

My host, Cedant uses Unix. So I can use this script? How do I know what the site's IP address is? Thank you.

Wait - is this a website or an ISP you're trying to block?

Are you trying to block users from a domain from accessing your website or are you trying to block someone linking to you?

{

From looking at my stats, each time someone accesses my site through Netkhajana, it is obviously a different IP address. Is there a way for me to block the domain/referral? Thanks.

If you're on Unix you should have no problem using .htaccess. First make sure that you don't over-write an existing .htaccess file by downloading or viewing it at the command line. It is usually invisible so you've got to put in -al to make if visible.

If there is an .htaccess file already you would add those lines.

{

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> From looking at my stats, each time someone accesses my site through Netkhajana, it is obviously a different IP address. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So in otherwords you aren't trying to block people from Netkhajana from viewing your site, you're trying to block people following the link from viewing your site?

Here is the site that is linking to me:

http://www.netkhajana.org/portal/shopping.htm

These people think for some reason they are going to make money when they subscribe to my newsletter. So they keep subscribing - hundreds a day!!! I delete them all but I am sick of it! I have tried to contact this site but of course there is no contact and they are in India after all. So is there a way for me to block people from coming from this site? I really appreciate your help.

ewwwww I see what you mean. I see they even have a pop-up with your site on it the first time someone accesses them. I thought you were trying to block users from an ISP. There is probably a way to thwart it but I've got to give some thought.

In the meantime someone else might know.

{

thank you for your help and I'll be waiting for your reply

A thought in a differant direction. This goes against my grain, but if you're getting hundreds of people a day subscribing that you don't want to, take advantage of it. Send newsletter A to your REAL subscribers, send newsletter B to these bozos. Pack every sleazy credit card, ink-jet, whatever else junkmail ad you can into it.

Just make sure you get paid per subscriber, since none of those people will ever buy anything.

They can't complain it's spam, they signed up for it. If they unsubscribe, that's what you want anyway so no loss.

Just make sure not to mix up the A and B lists.

that is a good idea except I do not have the time nor the inclination to do so. I just want them to stop sending these people to my site. I will entertain any other suggestions!!!!!

This will confuse people....

There are some sites that will use javascript that will look at the referer address. If it matches, then it 1) closes the window, or directes the user instantly back to the site they just came from.

Harmless AND effective.

Just a thought.

Do you know how that is done?

Unfortunately, no. It has been aleast a year since I last saw this. Your best bet would be to search the javascript sites. Maybe someone posted it there.

Be sure to post a link once you find it though. I'd like to add it to my code snippets.

Chris

You could try something like this in SSI

&lt;!--#if expr="${HTTP_REFERER} = /http://www.netkhajana.org/" --&gt;
    put stuff here i.e javascript redirect
    &lt;!--#endif --&gt;

That would work. Talk about a blast from the past [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I haven't seen SSI used that way - with if statements like a program - in a looong time.

{

so where would I put this SSI code?

Thank you so much for the input!

Can someone follow up on this please? Do I put this SSI in an .htaccess file? How do I create a .htaccess file? Thanks.

Have a little patience please; you can't always expect to have your questions answered instantly here. We don't get paid for this and have to sleep, eat, and work on our own pages just like you.

SSI code goes in the page you want to use it in, not in the htaccess file. You've then got to name the page with an .shtml file extension so that it will process the SSI code. If you don't want to rename it, you can make a change in your .htaccess file so that .html files will parse the code. The way to do that is in the archives here and all you've got to do is run a search to find it; however in the case of making changes to your .htaccess, I'd advise you to talk to your host and get them to help you. If you don't know what you are doing you can block all access to your site.

{

I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone. Forget I asked the question and I won't post anymore.

You didn't offend anyone. I was simply pointing out that not everyone can answer questions here as soon as we'd like. You sounded impatient that your question hadn't been answered in the overnight hours. Your problem is somewhat challenging and we are doing our best here to help you with it.

{

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast