Make a secure area to upload text/HTML that would then be incorporated into a database?

I remember way back when I was totally trying to ignore db stuff some designer mentioning having buit sites that the owner could modify via online form. That's sort of the idea I'm after. For instance, have a key that the person writing the text/HTML would choose, and then upload what they've written, and the database would be updated to be able to show the text/HTML when queried for it.

This all theoretical at this point, mind you. I'm trying to gather ideas about where I need to go and what I need to learn (gulp!). Or how much it's worth for me to pay someone else to do it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] So various strategies that anyone cares to throw out for perusal are greatly appreciated.

Likewise...
    How complicated is building an EDI (electronic data interface) for a drop shipping site? What it in the heck is an EDI anyway? I mean, I get the general idea. Electronic paper work for orders received, shipped, etc.., but like what does it entail? How hard is it to interface a db driven site with this EDI thingymajigger? Does anyone know anything about icc.net, and whether their service is any good/worth the price?

Finally, say I had this grandiose fantasy of a database driven drop shipping site that was fully e-commerce capable with its own shopping cart, this EDI thingymajigger, and an affiliate program. From what little I've gathered while not paying close attention, I need to have a plan that will all gel together in the end including a shopping cart that will actually interface with whatever affiliate tracking I end up choosing, right? So can I build such a thing, or do I need to outsource that (already have a merchant account wasting away waiting patiently for someone else to deal with the project since I'm happily affiliate marketing), and where does a MIVA or other certificate fit in?

Is there a good/better/best scenario of shopping cart - certificate - EDI - aff. tracking option all put together?

Do I sound totally newbie to this? I am. I'm resisting it tooth and nail, too, but the teeth are getting stained and the nails keep breaking.

TIA.

(edited for grammer and clarificashun [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img])

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Make a secure area to upload text/HTML that would then be incorporated into a database?

I remember way back when I was totally trying to ignore db stuff some designer mentioning having buit sites that the owner could modify via online form. That's sort of the idea I'm after. For instance, have a key that the person writing the text/HTML would choose, and then upload what they've written, and the database would be updated to be able to show the text/HTML when queried for it.

This all theoretical at this point, mind you. I'm trying to gather ideas about where I need to go and what I need to learn (gulp!). Or how much it's worth for me to pay someone else to do it. So various strategies that anyone cares to throw out for perusal are greatly appreciated.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For that part, I'd recommend one of the existing Content Management System such as Fluid Dynamics' Genesis (if it's still around) or a Portal solution such as PHPNuke, PostNuke. The latter two are free open source scripts and plenty of folks here can help you get them installed if you get stuck. I've used an older version of Genesis when I used to give out free homepages on one of my domains; it worked very nicely for about 30 or so users.

There are also lots of excellent database-driven shopping cart solutions already available such as Cart32 (for Windoze) but I don't know about the affiliate tracking part.

Still thinking about the rest. It all depends on just how much thingiemajor you want to do and how much thingiemajor you want to spend.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

Thanks, dear. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'll check those out for the uploading ideas.

Well, how much? Less than $12,000, that's for sure. Trying to get a picture of which bits might be doable by moi and which bits definitely have to be paid for at this point, and whether icc.net is penny-wise for that EDI thingamajiggy. Of course, doing any of it myself takes me away from making aff pages and learning the stuff I'm trying to learn for more immediate use. But if the price ticket gets too high, then doing it myself sounds like a better ROI.

Sounding confused? Yup.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread