Ok this is where I am stuck. I can make the tables in the phpmyadmin. But I cannot get the data in the tables.

1. if you have a txt. file delimited by comma, do you upload it to your server then try to get the info in the table? or not.

2. the tags you use to call the table, syntax, is that to go into your webpage? or just the php part?

3. the php part calls the snytax in the mysql (phpmyadmin) and back thru the php it presents itself on the web?

Hi Wendy,

judging from your questions, you could be in for a rough ride [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I don't use PHPMyAdmin, I just use the MySQL server directly, but I'll try to help a little...

2. You access your MySQL database with PHP code. It has nothing to do with HTML

3. The code you use to access the MySQL database and it's tables is PHP. You can use PHP to generate HTML which will display query results on you web pages if you wish.

I'd suggest you take a good look at the PHP Manual, dont be intimidated by the word 'manual', it's regarded as one of the easiest, most user friendly documentation projects on the net. You'll find a wealth of info to help you work out how to use PHP/MySQL

When your happy with that, have a look at the MySQL Manual, it's a bit more hardcore but you'll not find it soooo tough [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hope that helps...

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not sure which version of phpmyadmin you have.
    I've just looked at versions 2.2.2 & 2.3.0 and in both versions there is an option to upload a file directly from your computer into the database.

Choose your database, then choose the table you wish to upload the data to.
    Scroll down & select the option 'Insert data from a textfile into table'. A new page will appear allowing you to upload the file (click browse to locate the file). This will upload the file for you.
    The rest of the options are fairly self explanitary (seperation value etc).

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: Pete ]

one caveat - if the file is large, there is a good chance PHPMyAdmin will time out before the file has been uploaded. AFAIK the only way to get a larger file into your db is th upload it with FTP then import it from the command line using telnet. Unfortunately some hosts don't provide access to MySQL via the command line [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

For the other stuff, get a good book on PHP. I suggest Programmer to Programmer Beginning PHP4 from Wrox Press. It's a thick book that book will not only teach you PHP but MySQL as well and will leave you in good stead for writing your own programs.

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Gotcha! thanks everyone. I have read and read and read, printed out pages and so on. I am almost there, still having some problems tho.

The tables are made the html/php are almost done, I am just having a terrible time getting the calling script to work, so that I can display my works on a webpage.

But I am hanging in there.

Basically once I get this, I do sorta like it. Its a challenge and thats fun.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread