I just downloaded awstats version 4.1 log analyzer. I have read the install and setup documentation, but I don't understand perl and the instructions are somewhat confusing to me. Has anyone been thru this before that can explain in simple terms how to set it up? Thanks
    Ken

I use AWSTATS but it's been a while since I set it up. If you can tell me what part are you stuck on I can try to help you. You don't really need to know Perl to set it up; just where to upload the files and directories and how to set permissions on them. In general, html and image files go in your document root, and the cgi, pl, and conf files go in your cgi bin. Everything that needs to be changed is done in your awstats.conf file.

In the very simplest of terms:

1. edit the config file - this is the only file you need to edit
    2. upload files to the appropriate areas on your server according to the documentation
    3. set permissions on the files and directories
    4. open your browser and run the script with the update parameter

That is very rudimentary, I know. But it's difficult to help you without knowing how far you've gotten with it.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

Eaglefire;
    Thanks. I am just on page 1. It says to copy the cgi, pl, and conf files to my web server cgi-bin directory. On my web server I don't have a /cgi-bin directory, but I have one called /logs which is where my log files are. I assume that's the same as /cgi-bin directory? When I try to FTP the cgi, pl, and conf files to that directory, I get an error message 550 awstats.pl: Permission Denied.

I guess I'll have to get my ISP to give me permission to put any files on that directory.

I have tried to edit the first line in the awstats.pl to reflect the path where the the perl interpreter is installed, but when I try to open the awstats.pl file or the awstats.conf file, Windows asks me "Open With?. What program do you use to edit the pl or conf files?

Then it says move all the icon sub-directories "into a directory readable by my web server, for example: /yourwwwroot/icon." Does this mean to set up a new directory on my website and ftp them to that directory?

Then it says "copy awstats.model.conf into awstats.virtualhost.conf (or awstats.conf)". What does that mean?

Then it says to edit this new config file... Here again, what program do you edit with to set permissions on the files and directories?

How do you "open your browser and run the script" with the update parameter?

Thank you for your help.
    Ken

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread