ABW Ambassador
    Anyone tell me a list of things I need to learn (and order of learning) to make use of datafeeds like GoCollect and TD?

Are there any good web tutorials?

What does my server need to be capable of?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

You a will need a scripting language to display the results - Perl, Coldfusion, PHP, ASP, Python, Java Servlets, JSP.

Since most datafeeds are too large to work with efficiently in flat-file format, you should also have database management software (usually MySQL on *nix or Access/SQL server on Windoze). You'll also need to learn enough SQL for your script to "talk" to the database.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

ABW Ambassador
    Have something soft to hit your head with on occasion. It hurts less than the wall. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Mike

Don't Worry Mama, It Won't Get Freaky!

LOL Mike.

Actually, it's best to have a book than a tutorial. They cost less than a PC to replace when thrown out the window in exasperation.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

My paperback books just arrived on Thursday. They do perfectly for both throwing and banging my head! It really is amazing.

Besides, I think in h/b they'd be frightengingly heavy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

ABW Ambassador
    I think the best place to start is by learning how a simple database works so that you can understand the principles involved and get to grips with the terminology, i.e. fields, indexes, tables that kind of stuff.

If you have something like MS Access on your PC start with that.

Once you have a good basic knowledge of databasing under your belt then start to think about doing the same thing on your webserver.

Of course, you can't run access on a webserver, but most *nix boxes have MySQL or some derivative thereof installed.

I believe there is a 'middleware' package available called MyODBC which allows you to configure a link between two ODBC compliant databases - one one your PC and one on your webserver, if you so wish. So, in theory, you could have an Access database on your PC that links to and updates an SQL database on your webserver (although I never tried it myself).

You could also download and install a Windows based version of MySQL from http://www.mysql.com/ and work directly in SQL on your PC.

If you do work purely in MySQL you can then setup your database with all it's data on your PC then export the whole lot into a single file and upload it to your webserver.

Once it's on your webserver you'll need to learn enough of a scripting language (PERL, PHP) to manipulate the database and get the data into some HTML pages. There are many freeware / shareware scripts around that will do the job for you - try http://cgi.resourceindex.com/

Is that enough to be going on with? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-----------
    JoKe-ZoNe
    -----------

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    OK you database and programming gurus should be able to make some money selling a turnkey solutions to affiliate webmasters. I'm not one of the gurus, but I can take any CVS file ..create just the categories and subcategory proper names used in the CVS file and populate a www.miva.com e-catalog/shopping cart in 10 minutes with 25,000 SKUs. Leaving out a category name simply drops it from the HTML display and the thumbnail or full product image URL can be embedded in the CVS file. I have 4 computer distributor clients using this for their Value Added Reseller -VAR- sales channel...and they are basically computer illiterate..and can handle it well.

This e-commerce package is written in HTMLscript, a simple language to learn for customization, and they have a huge community of programmers who have customized it for over 140,000 licenced e-commerce sites. It's has no size limitations to items in the e-catalog and allows easy HTML enhanced category main pages. Many hosting services throw it in for an extra 10.00 a month on top of their normal fees.

All someone has to do (or hire one of their community programmers to do) is modify the "buy one" button with a direct affiliate coded URL link to the merchants product page and bypass the built-in shopping cart interface. Then get THmedia or one of the hosting companies to autoinstall the modified version of it to create a customizable shopping site for any affiliate wanting to host one with database product feeds. That way all merchants like TD or goCollect can have one standaard feed format for all affiliates.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    You are entirely correct. It is trivial to handle on a programming end and then letting others feed from the same source simplifies the whole process if there are any changes.

We currently do something similar for some of our hosting customers. Take the raw data and process it, so it is available to all the clients. We are in a beta testing stage now and I was going to actually ask anyone in Oct if they wanted to give it a try. It is part of our basic $10 hosting 250mb/5gb package.

Wasn't there someone already doing this about 6 months back with the CJ products? I remember seeing it, then nothing. I think he was trying to sell it in an asp model, where the additional costs were probably not worth it.

Chet

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread