I need to capture some screen images from TV input.. any ideas on the best hardware / software to do this? Input is from some old retro equipment so can only come via a regular old style tv input lead and not a scart etc. Also, I've only got a notebook pc available so can't fit internal cards. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I dont have an external one but here's an option,

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&SKU=A177-2116

I have an internal version of the card, it is a little restricted as far as resolution is concerned.... 320x240 ....if you want I'll send you some screenshots [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Another way may be to take photos of the images on a TV screen with a digital camera, if you have one or can borrow one. Then you have your images in digital form.

Since the screen takes 1/30 of a second to completely refresh (in the U.S., anyway), you'll need to force a fairly long exposure to average out a number of screen images and avoid a dark band where the image is fading since the last refresh pass. 1/10 of a second is about right.

To force your camera to take that long of an exposure you may have to select the smallest aperture your camera offers, and/or dim the screen image (and take the photograph in a darkened room). Or put a piece of dark glass over the lens to make the camera take a longer exposure.

That only works well if the image isn't changing fast, or if you can freeze-frame it (say from a VCR) while you take the picture.

The same trick can be done with a film camera if you have services in your area that can scan the resulting photograph and give you digital images from that. A number of local copier services around here will do that.

-- Mike

Thanks for the info, I've tried a digital camera but results weren't too good.

Akoss - that looks like the kind of thing I need, but I checked the co. website and they don't do external for the PAL TV system. Does this look like the same type of kit?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Paul:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...lc.asp?Id=2806

Hope you find something there...

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

I sold some Dazzle units to a couple of schools last year who were looking at doing some similar stuff. They seemed pretty happy.

Game on!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...119140-9823821 look like the same type of kit?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like it would work in your application. The other option is to use one of the many video capture devices available on the market and an old VCR. I use Belkin VideoBus II capture device which has very stable software even in Win 98!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread