I'm sitting here staring at the purchase page for FP. What little I've been able to do with my site to this point, I've just been using FP Express. Of course, it doesn't work with templates.

Since I'm still extremely clueless on this stuff, I just want to make sure before buying that this will indeed greatly simplify my life.

The template I'll be using is at http://www.yourld.com/template.htm I have Paint Shop Pro and am struggling with editing the individual graphics on the template. Is FP going to help make this a lot simpler, or what?

Thanks in advance.

Chris B.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    You should check out my site. You can get a way better template than that for about $50. It comes with the artwork plus a frontpage version of it in html. I also customize it for you for a small fee. Got around $250 for a website?... that will make you look like you've got a million bucks in the bank. It's a great deal.

/end sales pitch

"I want to make you more money with a professional and low cost web design. Let's chat."

AffiliateMakeover, in your sales pitch, you forgot to actually answer my question. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have looked at your site. Right now, no I don't have $250 bucks, especially if I'm going to be adding on another $160 for FP. But I do know where I can find you, don't I? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] When I can, I'll come a knockin', I promise.

So, will FP simplify my life when it comes to this type of cheap template, or am I better off studying PS Pro until I can make changes to the graphics on my own and just keep using FP Express?

Chris B.

Or maybe mentioning the FP version of my site in html was somewhat of an answer. IS that what you meant, instead of buying FP?

Chris B.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Until you learn both FrontPage and Paintshop Pro you webmaster life will never get easier. Some still like to argue the point but face the reality...32 million paid for the license after a free trail of PSP, and over 18 million domain sites have been created with Frontpage.

WebMaster Mike

Thanks WebMaster Mike:

I know that at some point, I'll have to buy something like FP or DW. My main concern right now is that even if I buy FP today that it won't help me because I'm still figuring out PS Pro.

I guess I should just go for it. I must be getting old. I didn't used to be this cheap. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Chris B.

I have Front Page but find it is better to forget the themes and all that jazz. I don't even use the shared borders any more. SSI is way better. FP is a nice HTML editor, though.

I don't use the templates any more, either. Just make a page I like, add the SSI elements and save it as shtml. Use that page as a templet for subsequent pages. Then, I remove all body and heading tags from the includes and FTP them to the site.

Very easy and fast to make a lot of pages this way.

I could do just as well with any old html editor. FP becomes a pain after a while.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Thanks for the feedback, SSanf.

I'm sure at some point in the hopefully not too distant future, I won't feel a need for templates and/or will be able to create my own.

But, from where I stand now, I feel more comfortable using them as far as presentation goes.

This stuff just has me completely baffled. Last time I checked SSI was government supported income for handi-capped people, orphans, etc., or something like that. And shtml looks like a dirty word with the vowels missing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It seems I've not only become cheaper with age, but I've also become a total idiot. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Again, thanks for the feedback. I'll figure this stuff out if it kills me.

Chris B.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    LOL Chris. SSI is Serve Side Includes. It's a type of coding. But it's probably best to learn the basics of html before you go venturing out into other areas.

I've never used FP for a couple of reasons. First it's a MS product. Second, I've seen in too many places how it changes coding itself and a mess stuff up. Maybe they have improved on that. There are quite a few free html editors out there. There is a very good (rather long) thread here at ABW a good while back of people discussing their favorite html software. I would recommend what I use, but unfortunately they don't make it anymore. Claris Homepage. I'd said at the point where you seem to be, learn PaintShop for the graphics. If you can't work with templates in FPExpress, than do a search here for html editors and check out some of the other programs. Preferrably an editor that operates in WYSISWG (what you see is what you get) as well as straight hard coding. You should be able to find a really cheap or free one. That will allow you handle to templates if you've learned the PaintShop so you can adapt the graphics.

Just my

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Thanks BLFH.

Yes, I have a long way to go, don't I?

As much as I'm fighting it, I'll probably take the plunge as it seems like it will simplify things for me now. I can always pick something else up later after I've started to get a little more income churning in. And I'm already at least familiar with the stripped down free version.

Thanks again folks.

Chris B.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread