I don't want people looking at my code. Do you know the script for this? Will it interfere with search engines in any way if I use it?

I would like one that pops up a "no, no" message when someone tries to view~~~~>source, if possible.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

[This message was edited by SSanf on August 29, 2003 at 07:15 AM.]

Hello SSanf, there is really no true proven way to effectively hide your source code from prying eyes.

First recommendation meta tag inclusions:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="ImageToolbar" CONTENT="No">
    <META NAME="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" CONTENT="True">
    (above is for image protection help)

<meta http-equiv="pragma" content="no-cache">
    (prevents cache of file on computer)

If someone is dead set in finding the source code .. they will. If you want to make it extremely difficult to achieve this, it's a matter a preference as to what methods you can use.

For instance, you can fully encrypt your source code (drawback: SE's reading & ranking page). It is recommended that you only encrypt the critical source code needing to be hidden from viewing while leaving the rest of the HTML in tact. SE's will skip only the document write (protected source code) while still reading the other normal HTML.

Another method you may consider, on our site we offer a security zone JS cut & paste code section that offers a few counter methods like popping a hidden URL (the page you really want to protect source code for) in a toolbarless window pop while leaving the original linked page file as a blank file that the pop window uses.

Another method: This code works great, but source code is visible if they simply use toolbar view source option. If you use frames this anti right click code below would then effectively hide the source code:

(Place right before ending </body> tag of HTML)
    <script language=JavaScript>
    <!--
    var message="Function Disabled!";
    ///////////////////////////////////
    function clickIE() {if (document.all) {alert(message);return false;}}
    function clickNS(e) {if
    (document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!document.all)) {
    if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {alert(message);return false;}}}
    if (document.layers)
    {document.captureEvents(event.mousedown);document.onmousedown=clickNS;}
    else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontextmenu=clickIE;}
    document.oncontextmenu=new function("return false")
    // -->
    </script>

(Drawback: JS must be active to work, if viewer cancels JS .. source code is visible once again. Recommend a active JS detector code that routes to designated page that tells viewer they must have active JS in order to surf site, otherwise they keep getting transferred to warning page.)

We also offer other codes covering this area in the JS cut & paste code section.

Hope this helps you.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Retired Member
    Don't worry about the source code. There are always ways to get it so your efforts will be wasted. You risk turning off people. especially if you disable the right-click. It's a big turn-off to right-click on a website and have the webmaster tell you that he doesn't trust you.

As a programmer for 20 years I have yet to see source code that is so amazing that it needs to be hidden. If someone wants to steal your ideas, they will.

Retired Member

If you run coupons, your customers won't be able to right click and copy them either.

Not to flame your comment Steve,

But, It does amaze me when I hear people say over & over .. don't use right click .. you will offend the viewer.

What exactly is the visitor looking for when reading the source code???? Is the viewer under the impression if they view the source code they will find a discount offer not visible on the web page itself????

Viewers who are reading the source code are IMO looking for only 2 reasons ...
    1. Short cut the affiliate hop link
    2. Find path to steal or hot link something

You would be amazed at the amount of thefts we had been incurring on our service until we put anti right click protection in place. Since we have, theft/hot linking files & images/etc. has dropped considerably.

If we offend thieves .. the hell with them.

As for copying coupons, an easy remedy is a pop window for copying coupons.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DesignerWiz.com Team:
    What exactly is the visitor looking for when reading the source code???? Is the viewer under the impression if they view the source code they will find a discount offer not visible on the web page itself????
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about if they just want to add the site to favorites? Or open a link in the new window? Or, like Anne said, copy something that was ment to be copied?

I myself am against disabeling right click. Sometimes I am just a bit bored and right click somewhere on the page (no reason at all, don't know why ) and if I get right click disabeled I really don't fill as confortable as I do on other sites.

You can prevent hotlinking with .htaccess - much friendlier and more efficient (plus imagine the face of a thieve who goes through the trouble of putting 10 links to your images on a page and uploads to his server just to see they don't display ).

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

You can evade any right click blocker by simply disabling javascript. No magic required.

Hm.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Another method you may consider, on our site we offer a security zone JS cut & paste code section that offers a few counter methods like popping a hidden URL (the page you really want to protect source code for) in a toolbarless window pop while leaving the original linked page file as a blank file that the pop window uses. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but that is one too many for me. I haven't a clue what it all means.

I just want to keep them from seeing the source code. I have good reason to protect it. They can link to images to their hearts content as far as I am concerned. The images all originate from the merchants, anyway.

I don't use frames. So, I guess, I still don't have a solution. I was wondering because I have seen other pages that do hide the code, someway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Don't worry about the source code. There are always ways to get it so your efforts will be wasted. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the people that would be tempted are armatures who are just beginning, hence might be tempted by my poor efforts to take short cuts.

Here's the thing. My stupid and naive AM has told some people to take a look at my site to see what great presentations can be made with his products!!! He doesn't have a data feed and I did all the work by hand, so you see..... I know this because he told me thinking that I would be pleased and flattered that he is showing off my site....to my competitors, yet!!! Needless to say, we have a firm agreement that he won't do this again. But, still....

Don't tell me to drop him. I make a ton of money from this guy. And, he did have enough class to be truly embarassed when he realized what he had done.

Thanks

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

I think disabling right click is a bad idea. There is much more to the right click function than viewing source.

If they want to add to Favorites, print page, etc., they can't do any of those things with right click disabled. I had most of my pages protected this way at one time, and I can say that my site has been much more profitable since I removed the no right click restriction. I haven't noticed an increase in site copying since that time, either.

If they want it bad enough, they will get it. Why make them mad so they have an axe to grind?

Andy

If the right click is disabled, can't you just click on view, then source in any IE browser?

I disagree, I think you T people off if you disable right click. If people are used to right clicking to copy codes, they will be quite annoyed when you change the way your site works. People don't like change ( you can tell I don't , ha ha) Plus so many pop up blockers...

I think you have to do what works for most people on your site so you keep the most customers. My past experience has shown me that if people will copy , they will copy. I have seen my personal dreamweaver files and source code in the site of a theif. All grabbed with right click disabled. Go figure.

Hmm...well, actually, what I really wanted to disable is view source.

Retired Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But, It does amaze me when I hear people say over & over .. don't use right click .. you will offend the viewer.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most webmasters who block the source also block the right-click. There are a lot of things on the right-click menu besides view source that are useful. back, Print, copy, create shortcut, etc.

Some webmasters block the right-click, but they don't block the view source menu item.

In addition, disabling view source does not stop people from getting your source so why do it.

Not that I don't agree with what you are trying to do. Stopping piracy. I just think what you are doing won't work and will cause you to lose some sales.

If another affiliate copies your site. Notify your AM. Website piracy is a problem and a good AM should be able to deal with the offender.

Retired Member

IMHO...

First, I agree that it is ridiculous to stop people from right-clicking - and yes it is insulting. You usually see it on pages where the owner doesn't want the visitor to save the images there to their hard-drive. Which brings me to the next point.

All I have to do is go to my browser cache, and there it is - the entire file, with a name that is similar to what you originally named it. Now, you can still disable the right mouse click, if for no other reason than there may be a few web designers that don't know how to get to their browser cache.

Lastly, don't forget the less code you have above your keyword filled content the better for SE's - so it's your choice what you put up there.

Fred

&lt;font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C&gt;&lt;b&gt;You might just be a Parasite if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/font&gt;

I don't think there is a way to disable view source without getting rid of right click, however, the point is, people can typically get your source code anyway... so when you disable the right click you lose more customers than it is worth to stop one or two bozos from stealing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    I got my T-Shirt! Imagination that!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

OK, well thanks for giving thought to the problem. I guess, what can't be cured must be endured.

most annoying is i come across a merchant who disable right click too on their affiliate section too.

i am not able to right click to get the affiliate links

Of course , i can find way to copy its code,
    but i don't, i just hate working with a stupid merchant.

Therefore, i just forget this merchant.

http://8n.nu

Hmmmm ... we must cater to an entirely different niche audience. We rarely get complaints because of our anti right click functions on our service.

In regards to vendors incorrectly setting up the ability for viewers to copy important items such as coupons, etc. .... well, that falls on the webmasters responsability to properly make things available for copying.

SSanf: As far as the security feature that I was trying to explain to you .. well, it's easier than it sounds to setup.

Here's a live example:
    http://www.designerwiz.com/JavaScripts/code_seal_v1.5.htm

PS: Don't click the link, just paste the URL to your browser ... ABW board chokes on our use of folder named "JavaScript" and will 404.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread