I noticed this today in the "Windows Updates" for XP. (I am set for 'automatic updates' and it was automatically downloaded.) I think it's about time Microsoft took these kinds of steps to battle the scumware that is infesting everyone's PC's

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830

Hopefully this will put a dent in the parasiteware that is out there, and maybe commissions will improve.

Good luck to all.

When they talk about "Malicious software"... I hope they are talking about Parasiteware. It may just be focusing on worms or viruses. I guess I've been waiting for them to do something about the parasiteware for so long, I may have jumped the gun when i saw this.

Maybe someone with a parasiteware test computer can see if this cleans up any parasiteware ? ? ?

Just a thought

MS says...

"A new version of the tool will be released each month and will be made available from Automatic Updates and from the Windows Update site."

I think I did jump the gun again. I read the kb article again, and it says it removes...

Malicious software family Tool version Severity rating*
    Win32/Berbew January 2005 Moderate
    Win32/Doomjuice January 2005 Moderate
    Win32/Gaobot January 2005 Moderate
    Win32/MSBlast January 2005 Critical
    Win32/Mydoom January 2005 Moderate
    Win32/Nachi January 2005 Critical
    Win32/Sasser January 2005 Critical
    Win32/Zindos January 2005 Moderate

I don't recognize these as parasiteware.

Maybe the "future month" versions will attack scumware. I can't see how MS can allow scumware to hide on people's PC's.... slowing them down and causing instability, and not fight back... Oh well

Davester Microsoft have already taken a step in the right direction regarding parasite removal. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx and download their new antispy program for free. It's great.

Davester,

We've got a four page thread on the new software Grumpy links to HERE
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Malicious Software Removal Tool
    Published: January 11, 2005 | Updated: January 12, 2005

Skip the details and run the tool online...
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool checks Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003 computers for and helps remove infections by specific, prevalent malicious software—including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom. When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed.

Microsoft will release an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday of each month. New versions will be made available through this Web page, Windows Update, and the Microsoft Download Center.

Users of all supported versions may run the tool directly from this Web page, or manually download the newest version to run locally on their computers.
    Windows XP users may get the latest version through Windows Update. To have the newest versions automatically delivered and installed as soon as they are released, set the Automatic Updates feature to Automatic.

Note The version of this tool delivered by Windows Update runs in the background and then deletes itself. If you would like to run this tool more than once a month, use the version on this Web page or install the version that is available in the Download Center.

Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread