Ok I installed Apache and can see the 'you have successfully installed Apache...' screen when I type htttp://localhost/ in the browser.

I want to get the following setup but have no idea how it's done.

1. PHP
    2. Perl
    3. mySQL Database

basically I want to learn how use scripts and mySQL. I also need guidance pointing Dreamweaver in the right direction to be able to display pages/scripts using the test server. Anyone have any gool links or advice?

Regards,
    Doug

Bye!

I recently installed all these at once on my Windows 2000 PC using foxserv, which makes things nice and easy for those of us who don't want to mess around. See foxserv.net for details.

Oh, and make sure you follow the instructions carefully if you choose to give it a try - it'll save you a lot of time.

Riatsala

Was Perl included in that package???

Regards,

Doug

Bye!

Just Lurking
    Like Riatsala said, a package like foxserv(http://www.foxserv.net/portal.php) will get you up and running a lot quicker.

After you have a working server, you can figure out how it works. If you use foxserv you'll need to install Perl seperate, I think. Not difficult, Perl has detailed instructions.

If you're going to work with MySQL databases get a copy of PHPMyAdmin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ it's indespensible. I'm using it to create and maintain product and source data. If you feel like spending some bucks there are some good standalone GUI like EMS's MySQL Manager (http://ems-hitech.com/mymanager/).

Good luck,
    Buddha

Perl was included in my foxserv install, as was phpMyAdmin.

I also installed a second copy of perl called ActivePerl, but I can't remember why I did that.

Riatsala

Can't tell from your post what platform, but DevShed.com has a good one for *nix based systems.

There are only 10 kinds of people that get binary, those that do and those that don't.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread