DE USA
    Ok I've made a nice page template to make the process of making pages easier. The table size is set to 100% and I have a left site index with a heading area and some top navigation links. Everthing is working great so i dicued to start adding content. The first paragraph of text is fine. I do a page preview and it is streatching to the browser nicely. I added a table under the paragraph and when I do a page preview the page width is wider than my browser. What the &*$*&^%$ is the deal. Can someone please point me in the direction of...

1. Who to use tables to make a template?
    2. How to Use CSS as a template?
    3. How to just make a template that can be used site wide?

Regards Doug

Why am I wasting my time doing this???

Hi Doug.

I can't speak to the use of tables very much. I personally don't like the time it takes for them to load and the amount of coding required before your keywords and text show up.

However, there are zillions of sites that use tables quite nicely. So if you want to use tables, someone will undoubtedly point you in the right direction.

I have learned a little about css. If you want to do an entire page/site with css, go here to get started:

After you finish up with that one, look at these:

If you want to use tables and make them easier to code and maintain go read this information. (very possibly the best I have read yet):

As far as a template goes, you can use any method of coding that you prefer. Just save the basic outline as something like template.htm. Then when you are ready to start a new page, just call up the template, modify it, then save it as webpage.htm. The original template will stay unchanged.

Something to keep in mind. The coding you use needs to be consistent. Starting and ending codes need to be in place, cell padding and spacing must be set correctly. With css, the <div>'s must be spelled out correctly and closed at the right spot. A little trial and error will do wonders for your confidence.

You can use SSI to help be consistent. If you already use PHP, then it is perfect for including the standard code in your pages.

This is the longest post I have ever made. I sure hope it helps.

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Great info and resources Frank.
    There is only 1 thing that should be noted and that is older versions of Netscape love putting a border pad spacing around tables using the DIV command whereas IE would show these tables correctly.

Ray Thomas CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread