Just Lurking
    Platform for Privacy Preferences Project (P3P), I never hear this discussed here? Or have I just missed it?

I checked one of my clients stats his IE 6.0 users are up to 76%. That's a lot of users who have P3P enabled browsers.

So anyone implemented P3P on their site?

http://www.w3.org/P3P/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>from Microsoft:
    Internet Explorer 6 implements advanced cookie filtering that is based on the Platform for Privacy Preferences (P3P) specification. By default, Internet Explorer 6 blocks third-party cookies that do not have a compact policy (a condensed computer-readable privacy statement) or third-party cookies that have a compact policy which specifies that personally identifiable information is used without your implicit consent. First-party cookies that have a compact policy which specifies that personally identifiable information is used without implicit consent are downgraded (deleted when you close Internet Explorer). First-party cookies that do not have a compact policy are leashed (restricted so that they can only be read in the first-party context).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://support.microsoft.com/default...260971&GSSNB=1

[EDIT - ADDED LINK TO MICROSOFT]
    ------------------------------
    "If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

ABW Ambassador
    I checked p3p out a while back and never got around to a full analysis of it. It hasn't been discussed much here at all either.

As far as it blocking cookies that don't have a p3p policy it's going to depend on the users cookie settings. I don't set any cookies "per say - for my site" so I was never that concerned with it. My primary interest would be if network cookies resulting from links on my site were blocked or not or if those would be blocked depending on if the merchant itself is p3p enabled or not.

My assumptions would be that network cookies for merchants are placed on consumers machines on behalf of a merchant site and not mine - but I could be wrong.

Many merchants are still not IE6 compliant and I sure don't expect "many" to bother with being p3p compliant either. No cookies means more "free profit" from our work and it seems there is a slew of merchants that take full advantage of "free marketing from their affiliates".

Anyone in the know that can shed some light here, please do.

** Have you asked for change? **

ABW Ambassador
    CJ cookies are P3P complaint. I do not know about other networks.

Just Lurking
    Great something else to check merchants and networks for? I'll add it to the list with the parasites and contextual ad software and merchants like TD. Hurry up Haiko and get TT up and running. I'm having an anxiety attack!

------------------------------
    "If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>CJ cookies are P3P complaint. I do not know about other networks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That statement still needs to be qualified. Non bacth merchants rely on the cj cookies (qksrv.txt or commission-junction.txt) containing the tracking information.

Batch reporting merchants however also write their own cookie which is usually the primary cookie used for tracking - not cj's. These batch merchants are plentiful and the issue with p3p in their case is still relevant.

** Have you asked for change? **

My understanding of P3P is that sites without P3P policies who set first-party cookies are still accepted (default settings), but are "leashed" such that the cookies can only be read by that domain.

In the case that Poon mentions here, batch processing merchants do not need a P3P policy in place to set and read cookies properly from IE6 users in the default configuration.

Thanks,

-Dale

Things From Another World
    http://www.tfaw.com/
    We offer: 7%/90days/Unlimited Sales/Performance Incentives/Parasite Free!
    Affiliate Intranet - FREE Datafeed
    http://www.tfaw.com/intranet/

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread