Have a handfull of products, need to get shopping cart integration.

Any suggestions?

(Have affiliate links too, but a few products to sell directly.)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    www.americart.com

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

And here is another one fully laden with features:

Cubecart - www.cubcart.com

Used it on a couple of sites

<< - Web Designers do it with Objects and Style Sheets! - >>

OsCommerce - but get one that is preloaded with all the great mods. I use http://www.aabox.com for hosting, and they are OSCommerce experts.

Can't be beat!

Goal: $10,000/month by 12/04

Cub Cart link didn't work?

Any other suggestions?

"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
    - Yogi Berra

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Come on N-Affiliate take some expert advice. Go to pair.com and get a hosting account. Signup for their 15.00 a month Americart shopping cart add-on. You said a "handful of products" so the few minutes to place a buy-now button on your product pages should be a no brainer. Want to see if it works flawlessly for 6 years ... www.suspenders.com/products.htm

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

http and a telephoto
    There is also the original osCommerce Loaded version at http://creloaded.com For those that don't know, osCommerce is free and open source and since Mike likes Pair, they host and sponsor the osCommerce site. If you only have a few products though, osc might be overkill.

Deborah
    http://loxlygallery.com

OOpps,
    Back to spelling school for me.

It should have been Cubecart: http://www.cubecart.com

Sorry 'bout that, but its an excellent, full shopping cart system.

<< - Web Designers do it with Objects and Style Sheets! - >>

I know this is an old post, but does anyone know how to get the affiliate links in any of these systems so that "buy" goes to the merchant instead of a basket? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    I know this is an old post, but does anyone know how to get the affiliate links in any of these systems so that "buy" goes to the merchant instead of a basket? Thanks.
    Uffffff, another affiliate that wants to turn a shopping cart into an affiliate cms. To do what you want to do firstly you need to makes sure that you actually have the fields in your oscommerce product table, secondly that you are uploading the right bits of data into the right tables ( i think oscommerce has a couple of tables for products or maybe more all with different parts of the info in).

Now to hack your oscommerce, the easiest way would be to turn off the buy button or buy function on the site alltogether, i think off hand if you turn stock logging on and set the values in stock as 0 then the buy button will be removed. Then as a default field you have manufacturers links, use this to put your affiliate id into and then in the english language file change the actual name of this manufacturers link to buy now. This is the easiest way and will server the purpose you need but it is a pain in the ass sorting out the upload function, maybe something like easy populate might work if it is hacked to include the manufacturers url field as well.

I expect all of that lot would probably cost you about $200.00-300.00 using a freelance programmer by the time you got it right etc.

Regards

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Unhappy
    *Sigh*

Here comes another 10,000 dud clicks to some hapless merchant...from would've-been customers who don't understand why they're ending up on a different site's detail page, when they expected the next screen to be a shopping cart on the first site--and therefore go away without buying anything.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Are you saying that an affiliate should not have a carting system modified for affiliates? What should they have (I expect to get blasted, so go ahead )?

I decided on CubeCart and have already made the changes necessary for an affiliate website.

Incidentally, I'd be happy to change using the cart if there is some problem. I'm still rather new, experimenting, accepting good correction where given. I don't understand what's wrong with a cart.
    Last edited by johnnyWebAffiliate; November 29th, 2006 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pricethat
    Uffffff, another affiliate that wants to turn a shopping cart into an affiliate cms. To do what you want to do firstly you need to makes sure that you actually have the fields in your oscommerce product table, secondly that you are uploading the right bits of data into the right tables ( i think oscommerce has a couple of tables for products or maybe more all with different parts of the info in).

Now to hack your oscommerce, the easiest way would be to turn off the buy button or buy function on the site alltogether, i think off hand if you turn stock logging on and set the values in stock as 0 then the buy button will be removed. Then as a default field you have manufacturers links, use this to put your affiliate id into and then in the english language file change the actual name of this manufacturers link to buy now. This is the easiest way and will server the purpose you need but it is a pain in the ass sorting out the upload function, maybe something like easy populate might work if it is hacked to include the manufacturers url field as well.

I expect all of that lot would probably cost you about $200.00-300.00 using a freelance programmer by the time you got it right etc.

Regards
    Thanks. Don't get the "Uffffff" though.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Are you saying that an affiliate should not have a carting system modified for affiliates?
    The problem is if you make yourself look like a merchant. Traffic coming from those pseudo-merchant sites doesn't convert!

I think the reason for it is that customers get scared away when they think they are on a merchant site--only to end up on a different site when they click "add to cart." They don't know about affiliate marketing, so they probably assume it's really a phishing/spoof site.

Also, there is the problem that it'd be irritating for a customer to go from your detail page, decide to buy, but only end up on yet another detail page after clicking the button that was supposed to complete the process. Most merchants don't have a setup where you can actually make your "add to cart" button actually add the product to the merchant's cart.

If "add to cart" leads to someone else's detail page, I do know that you are just wasting any traffic that clicks it. I'm talking 0 sales on 1000s of clicks. I got a sea of dud clicks into GoodBulbs last year--turns out someone had that very setup, and a #1 on one of the "other 2" search engines for a major keyword. Sure, the engine liked it--but no sales resulted. He might as well have been lighting up $10 bills by doing that--with a proper affiliate site, that traffic would have resulted in several sales.

What you should have is a site that's clearly NOT the actual merchant site.
    Make it clear to the people that they will be completing the transaction elsewhere, so they'll know it's not a trick when they end up on the merchant's detail page (or elsewhere on their site). The design should reinforce the that fact, not contradict it.

The media has covered phishing sites and the like enough that nowadays people are on the lookout for weird stuff, signs of spoofed sites, etc. From a normal customer's viewpoint, hitting "add to cart"--which is supposed to do just that, add the item to the cart--on one site, only to end up at some totally different site looks crooked and that's all it takes to kill the sale.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

That's helpful. Thank you. I will have to clearly label what is going on to convert.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread