I keep finding great links on CJ that would work well on my site. I am using Dreamweaver 3.0 (too cheap to upgrade!) and my html skills are basic. (A wysiwig kind of gal ).

I prefer to make my site more content based and incorporate the different images into my page that way. I am finding more and more links, especially the content links, that Dreamweaver will not let me cut and paste into the body of my page. The areas that I am putting them in are typicallly within a table or a layer.

THe ones that won't work, seem to all have head tags and other coding that dreamweaver already has in there.
    (sample)
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>xxxxx HiSpeed Comparison</title>

<style>
    body {background-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;}
    table {font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:10pt;}

Is there any way to get them into a useable format within the context of my site or do they have to be a totally separate page (like you'd see in a popup)?

There are also some that have scripts and I have tried every option on the scripting tag to get them to work and they won't. I don't want to alter them too much because I want to make sure that the link actually tracks.

What am I doing wrong or what do I need to bone up on ? I am publishing them locally to test the links. Is this part of the problem?

Any insight would be helpful. I am getting so tired of creating a great page then not being able to add some great looking links.

Bonnie

ABW Ambassador
    I use Dreamweaver also and have not had problems altho I use Ultradev 4.0. I'm not really sure of what you are doing. Are you having problems with text links, image links or both?

You shouldn't be having a problem pulling the data from CJ and pasting into your body.

If you want to publish a page on your site and send me a PM with the link to it, I'll take a look at it to see what is going wrong.

Other than that, give a more concrete example of the error that's being created.

To answer your questions: they don't have to be on a separate page; you can tell if publishing them locally is the problem by seeing if the link is pointing to your hard drive.

It should just be a simple process of pasting the code into the body of your page.

I used to use the old dreamweaver Bonnie and never had any problems with it, in fact I get more problems since I updated to MX or whatever it is than I ever had with DW3.

Try removing the
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>
    <style>
    <body>
    tags on every link as you do not need any of them for them to still work.

As far as the script tags go, I always found they worked without any altering, they might not be visible in dreamweaver but when you upload to your site they will be. They are sometimes visible if you do the preview but not always, if you need to see the results save the file then click on the saved file this always worked for me. (I'm asuming you are using .html files)
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Are you pasting the link into your page in source code view and not design view.

I used to use Dreamweaver 3 with no problems.

To bob95603 --

It seems to only be on the newer "content" or "advanced links". I have been an affiliate for about 2 years and have never had a problem just hitting the copy button then pasting. That's whats so irritating about this whole thing. Error -- no error actually being reported. You paste and can see the hour glass for about 2 seconds then nothing is there. no invisible elements, nothing in the html when published (using view source), etc. But same process works just fine for text links and product links.

Gordon -- I took out the tags you recommended and went into the html source code (instead of design view ) as SeventiesMartin suggested. After a few tweaks I can get it to publish locally BUT the design layout (wysiwig) page, if you were to just open it to work on the page, looks ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like what the finished page looks like when published. Everything is totally scewed and rearranged yet the page is now publishing correctly! odd, but Yeah!

Maybe I'm not picking the best place to insert the code when I went into the html source code. Just left the cursor where I had it as if I were cutting and pasting.

I'll keep playing but any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am sure I have lots to learn.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Bonnie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buzybonnie:
    To bob95603 --

It seems to only be on the newer "content" or "advanced links". I have been an affiliate for about 2 years and have never had a problem just hitting the copy button then pasting. That's whats so irritating about this whole thing. Error -- no error actually being reported. You paste and can see the hour glass for about 2 seconds then nothing is there. no invisible elements, nothing in the html when published (using view source), etc. But same process works just fine for text links and product links.

Gordon -- I took out the tags you recommended and went into the html source code (instead of design view ) as SeventiesMartin suggested. After a few tweaks I can get it to publish locally BUT the design layout (wysiwig) page, if you were to just open it to work on the page, looks ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like what the finished page looks like when published. Everything is totally scewed and rearranged yet the page is now publishing correctly! odd, but Yeah!

Maybe I'm not picking the best place to insert the code when I went into the html source code. Just left the cursor where I had it as if I were cutting and pasting.

I'll keep playing but any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am sure I have lots to learn.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Bonnie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure this will work in the version you have. Try left clicking in the spot you want to add the link and then use the keyboard shortcut of &lt;CTRL&gt; &lt;SHIFT&gt; &lt;V&gt;. This will paste the code as html when your in design view.

Hope it helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I]Not sure this will work in the version you have. Try left clicking in the spot you want to add the link and then use the keyboard shortcut of &lt;CTRL&gt; &lt;SHIFT&gt; &lt;V&gt;. This will paste the code as html when your in design view.[/I] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This works for me in Dreamweaver. I usually can paste it in WYSIWYG mode, but sometimes for the &lt;script&gt; type links I have to paste it in &lt;code&gt; mode. Dreamweaver makes that pretty easy if you use the split screen view. I put the cursor where I want the link in Design, and it automatically puts the cursor in the correct spot in Code.

I use Dreamweaver MX
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread