ABW Ambassador
    All sites with redirects and sites with same landing page are penalized by google. cj.com affilaite links are redirects, so all cj.com affiliate sites are penalized. Anything what we can do? Additional google ist not able to index php sites.

carneol

PHP wouldn't exist because nobody would use it if Google couldn't index it.

Where are you getting your facts from about the CJ links getting penalized?

You need to present facts when you make bold statements like these because there are a lot of people that will take it as fact and repeat it over and over again.

I personally don't believe either.

I have one site that is completely dot-php and no problem with google indexing it.

I don't understand the whole thing about the CJ links, but as far as Google not indexing PHP sites, that's about as far from the truth as you can get.

PHP is a SERVER-SIDE language, meaning all of the PHP is processed on the SERVER before ever reaching the CLIENT side (ie: your browser). Google views a website just as a browser does (more or less) and sees the same thing you do, nothing but regular (X)HTML. There is no way for a browser or Google to discern what server side language (whether it be php, asp, or anything else) that a website is using. They never sees it.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

More accurate would be this statement: Google (and other search engines) don't like computer-generated SE spam pages. Some might have CJ links. Some might have redirects. Some might be PHP. But those things aren't the reason Google doesn't like them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I think Michael is right. It may be that google will inlude various tactics to determine how it classifies a page or site but overall it (google) does not penalize you for using links to affiliate programs or for using more complicated website building techniques. Google actually encourages progress and has said so at various times.

MichaelColey --- I AGREE_______
    More accurate would be this statement: Google (and other search engines) don't like computer-generated SE spam pages.

I don't know about Google...
    But I KNOW they are BAD for DMOZ...

I had a site listed in DMOZ..
    Great listing -- but it was not an affiliate site.. just info..

I put up one little banner in the footer (ALL PAGES)

IT WAS TAKEN OUT - of the DMOZ list about a week later.. no other changes no other reason I just put a small "Micro Banner" in the footer..

HERE's what Google says about "indexing" certain file types --

_________
    Fiction: Sites are not included in Google's index if they use ASP (or some other non-html file-type.)
    Fact: At Google, we are able to index most types of pages and files with very few exceptions. File types we are able to index include: pdf, asp, jsp, html, shtml, xml, cfm, doc, xls, ppt, rtf, wks, lwp, wri, swf.

Now they do not list PHP but since most of us who use PHP use it to create HTML or other "INDEXED" file types... It stands to reason that they ARE Indexed.. at least mine are..

GOOGLE INFO:
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/

quote:
    Originally posted by SuZee:
    MichaelColey --- I AGREE_______
    _More accurate would be this statement: Google (and other search engines) don't like computer-generated SE spam pages._

I don't know about Google...
    But I KNOW they are BAD for DMOZ...

I had a site listed in DMOZ..
    Great listing -- but it was not an affiliate site.. just info..

I put up one little banner in the footer (ALL PAGES)

IT WAS TAKEN OUT - of the DMOZ list about a week later.. no other changes no other reason I just put a small "Micro Banner" in the footer..

HERE's what Google says about "indexing" certain file types --

_________
    _Fiction:_ Sites are not included in Google's index if they use ASP (or some other non-html file-type.)
    _Fact:_ At Google, we are able to index most types of pages and files with very few exceptions. File types we are able to index include: pdf, asp, jsp, html, shtml, xml, cfm, doc, xls, ppt, rtf, wks, lwp, wri, swf.

Now they do not list PHP but since most of us who use PHP use it to create HTML or other "INDEXED" file types... It stands to reason that they ARE Indexed.. at least mine are..

GOOGLE INFO:
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/

Google has my entire 26000 page php site indexed... with good to fairly good rankings.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

I am not that familiar with file types but what about .aspx? How would SE"s "figure out" these types where HTML is generated on the fly based on the browser you are using?

ABW Ambassador
    I found that in the last axandra searchengine facts newsletter.

carneol

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:

Commies
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

quote:
    Originally posted by carneol:
    I found that in the last axandra searchengine facts newsletter.
    If that's the quality of information they have in their newsletter, you might as well unsubscribe.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Just Lurking
    Google indexes lot of file types. From some of the interesting boo boos I found with Google, I think they pay attention to the "Content-type" header of http more than the filetype extensions. So as long as your PHP or Ian's .ASPX is outputting content-type "text/html" there should be no problem. That is just my personal theory which is baseless because Google ain't commentting on the subject.

Hard thing about indexes like DMOZ is your not trying to fool a program like the googlebot but an actual human who 10 to 1 hates banners with a purple passion. As it says on the front page, "... the largest human-edited directory on the web."
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!

quote:
    Additional google ist not able to index php sites.

I'm fairly sure this isn't true.
    All my PHP pages get indexed within a few days of going live and usually get great traffic.
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

yes someone is giving you incorrect information

These discussions always amaze me. If a link returns an html page, or even a pdf page, it's a good link. The file extension doesn't really matter, but for some reason, every few weeks a new thread pops up about some file extension being excluded or being impossible for SE's to follow. Spiders are just specialized browsers. If your browser can see the page, so can the spider.

Ian, I have hundreds of pages with aspx extension. Google, yahoo, and msn all think they are just fine. So do lots of other spiders.

ABW Ambassador
    Search engines sometimes have problems with query strings with multiple elements. They have big problems with sites that use a sid in a query id.

Google, has some strange behavior with redirects.

Google and other indexes have big problems with affiliate sites and other things which tend to create a great deal of redundant information.

Redundant information causes problems for SEs.

DMOZ allows ads on pages. There probably was something else going on. There is more than one DMOZ editor. So it was probably a different person who took the page out.

It is possible that the change appeared to them as a bait and switch. I suspect DMOZ has widespread problems with people changing web sites after then get approved. I would not be surprised if they had an automated process that would pick up on addition of affiliate links to see how the page gets changed after approval.

Budaha :It seems you answered by question. Google is human- edited. I still find it hard to believe that all pages are checked manually. With so many irrelievent results from searches this seems impossible. I think Google needs some help cleaning up these results and what better people to help do it- we the affilates. If Google let us help I believe that we would all benefit. The searches would be more accurate and we could help . Go ahead Haiko, invite Google to answer some questions in a forum. I remember when Google started and was paying 2 cents per click thru CJ. The boys at Google have done well.

ABW Ambassador
    DMOZ is human edited (and very proud of that fact). Google minimizes the amount of human editing as is very proud of that fact.

Google often makes changes to its algorithm in response to what it perceives to be SEO garbage spam techniques. So it is entirely possible that there might be a penalty given for affiliate games.

Datafed sites are a challenge for Google. As the things continue to replicate out of control, I would suspect that the effectiveness of the datafed sites will diminish.

ABW Ambassador
    Some of this thread really makes me want to weep. I can't write any more right now as this is the kind of thread that was prevalent here when I first joined this forum and I thought we'd all moved past rubbish like "Google can't index PHP", "Google hates affiliate sites" and "Google is human-edited". I'm going away to cry for a little while.

ABW Ambassador
    Marymark:
    if you are entering with your SEO site you should be more careful what you are saying.
    Google says itself:

Google is able to index the folowing types of sites:

pdf, asp, jsp, hdml, shtml, xml, cfm, doc, xls, ppt, rtf, wks, lwp, wri.

I do not see that php sites are amongst them.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    carneol, MarkyMark knows SEO.

But you can read this too:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/23297-2-10.htm

From GoogleGuy:

"We give equal love to .php and .html, and even .asp. We normally dislike "&id=yyy" parameters though because they are normally session IDs. "

So Google does index php.

Read the whole thing, it's not that hard,

Fiction: Sites are not included in Google's index if they use ASP (or some other non-html file-type.)
    Fact: At Google, we are able to index most types of pages and files with very few exceptions. File types we are able to index include: pdf, asp, jsp, html, shtml, xml, cfm, doc, xls, ppt, rtf, wks, lwp, wri, swf.

If you search for php there are 470,000,000 results.

Maybe you should do more reading and less posting.

qball© - I posted almost exactly what you posted on the first page...
    can't believe this thread is on it's second page - the mention of Google and everybody jumps.. LOL..

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread