Anyone else have their scripts to the point that no sane person should ever be allowed to look them over. I can't believe what I have done. It's grown into a monster.

Memphis TN
    AMEN Brother.... My name is Chris and I am a scripting junkie and a geek.

Man does that feel better.

Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

I'd be totally embarassed for anyone to see my scripts.

All self-taught old-school Perl, no doubt average 3-5 steps where 1 could be used, don't understand modules, so no objects anywhere.

I have considered if it would be a good investment to have someone rewrite them all in updated, efficient code, but there's the shame of letting them see the things in the first place, and the worry that I might not be able to maintain them in future. So I'll probably have to start renting another server to cope with my bloated inefficient way of doing things.

Take off eh?
    sounds like my orginal asp scripts .... and my php scripts .... ok let's be honest, I'm pretty sure that also covers my javascript and even my html. Oh and don't even get me started on my sql skills. My stored procedures have stored procedures that call packages that consist of stored procedures.
    I'm sure that can't be good
    I'm so glad i moved beyond the "idiots Guide" books, now I wish someone would come out with the "Idiots guide to fixing what you did you idiot" series.
    seriously though, it's cool going back to old sites, tidying things up with new tricks, etc that I have learned over the last year or so and being able to visibly see the increase in query speed when I visit the sites.
    Makes me glad I have had patient visitors
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Heh, I guess that's a normal thing. The scripts I write for customers are tip-top and clearly coded, but those that I wrote for my sites... let's just say I know how you guys feel I know I had to rewrite some entire sites when I sold them, if the new owner saw that I might loose some serious customers lol.

I started with a basic basic set of scripts that has evolved as I add more and more feeds to the site.

It changes depending if the category structure I choose is 2 or 3 levels deep because I'd rather break up and change the feed with the import script than write long SQL queries :P

I used to have to edit each file of the scripts that managed the look and layout.. when I tackled the bettymills feed I streamlined it so I don't have to edit much more than the configuration file, the fields to select in the sql queries, and the small block of code that spits out the table cells.

I should start using the same field names for each feed.

The reason I don't rewrite the scripts from scratch is because I got it working great with mod_rewrite.. actually it wouldn't work without it.

I've been wanting to look into OO PHP and to better undestand the regular expression functions(preg_match and such).

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread