ABW Ambassador
    I have been having a problem with other websites using my graphics and bandwidth. So I called my hosting company. They were able to do something where if someone copies my graphics they don't get the graphic, they get a message. Anyway,I want to change what is said because I did not realze that when google caches my page now they see this message. I am worried that they may see it as spam and penalize me because all of the graphics on my site say the same thing. The problem is, I don't know where in my control panel I need to go to change this. Thanks in advance.

Just Lurking
    IMO there's no need to worry about Google penalizing you for the hotlink protection for images. If everything is getting redirected then that's a problem. Try looking under "Hotlink Protection" if you have cPanel.

[ edit to clairfy ]
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Here's something to try if it's not too much of a hassle:

Rename your current graphic.

Replace your currently named graphic with something these crooks had wished they had not stolen. Do this a few times and I think they may just resort to saving the image on their own server.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you both so much for answering me so quickly. Buddha, when I look at my cached pages now it looks like spam for the term that was used. Does google know that the term takes the place of the graphics? I am worried because I am very high up in google. Thanks!!

Just Lurking
    Google Search is only interested in your HTML files and doesn't see the images. Google Image and Google Cache are seperate.
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!

I had someone using one of my graphics as their avatar in a forum. I tracked it down and then basically did what Cheesehead suggested. It was pretty funny actually!
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

Yep rename your current graphic and make a new one using the name of the graphic that was stolen. It can say something like "The person posting this graphic stole it!"

Only problem, of course, is THAT is what will be seen on YOUR cached pages that call the graphic! However, it might be worth it if the thief acts quickly to remove it from their pages. You can name it back pretty fast.

Most people click through to the site instead of looking at the cached pages, anyway.

But, do really think about what you want to say. You might be better off just saying something like, "My doamin.com graphic."
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Google can't "see/read" a graphic, at least not without having a human look at it. GoogleBOT can only tell certain things about a pic: The file size, whether it's linked to anything, the file name, the alt text, the URL the graphic is being called from/resides on...things like that.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    After I read all your posts about renaming the file or putting in another graphic that they would not be happy with, I wished that I had not had my hosting company write in the graphic hotlinking block. I was ready to call them this AM and ask them to remove the script because I already had a graphic picked out!! and they would not have been to happy about it. However late last night the thieves changed the graphics to their own. In the meantime, I called my hosting company and told them about the cache problem and they told me that they added something to the script that will allow google and yahoo to read my graphics. Anyway when I look at my cache now, I still see what was rewritten not my images. I am assuming I won't see the change until a new cache happens? Is that true??

Leader, thanks for the info.
    SSANF, You have a good point regarding cache.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by infoseeker:
    Anyway when I look at my cache now, I still see what was rewritten not my images. I am assuming I won't see the change until a new cache happens? Is that true?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK I have had 3 cache changes and I still see what was rewritten, not my images. I did clear my cache. In fact I have a lap top computer that I also checked and when I click on cache I see my images but when I refresh my cache I see what was rewritten. I find this very odd?? Does anyone know what may be going on besides the script being inaccurate?? Thanks

You also might want to include in your robots text a block to the "image bots" - that way your graphics can not be easily searched for:

===========================

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
    Disallow: /

User-agent: Yahoo-MMCrawler

User-agent: psbot

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /folderyourimagesarein/

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /graphics/

================================