I found it difficult to explain so I made a demonstration.

I will try to answer questions.
    http://mywitchshop.com/sample/index.shtml

I added what I hope is more and better explaination. If you looked at this earlier, you might want to take another look.
    How to use Server Side Includes if you are stuck with Front Page

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

If you already have your .htm or whatever pages with the search engines changing the .htm to .shtml will cause you to lose visitors and sales. You can avoid this by keeping your original .htm or whatever and use a .htaccess file.
    Just thought I would add that to save people losing sales.

Gordon, thanks for the info.

What's a .htaccess file and how do you use it? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

you make a file call it htaccess.txt and just put on it

AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html

upload to your main area where your index.html is then change the file to .htaccess (you do this because sometimes the file will not show).

Then you can just add your SSI call to an ordinary .html page without changing the file type to .shtml thus you keep all the file names in the search engines.

you make a file call it htaccess.txt and just put on it

----------------------------------
    You mean you write "AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html"

In notepad or something and save it as .txt?

-------------------------------------

upload to your main area where your index.html is then change the file to .htaccess (you do this because sometimes the file will not show).

-------------------------------

You transfere it to the directory (folder where the .html is and change it to .htaccess instead of .txt?

--------------------------------------

Then you can just add your SSI call to an ordinary .html page without changing the file type to .shtml thus you keep all the file names in the search engines.

-----------------------------------
    You call your new .htaccess with the include tag?

I don't get where the content comes from??????

Sorry to be dense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You mean you write "AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html"

In notepad or something and save it as .txt?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Exactly (without the " ") call the file whateveryouwant.txt

Then upload his file to your main area where your index.html is.

Then rename the new whateveryouwant.txt file to .htaccess
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Then you can just add your SSI call to an ordinary .html page without changing the file type to .shtml thus you keep all the file names in the search engines<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Exactly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You call your new .htaccess with the include tag?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> NO. You call the file that you want. You do nothing with the .htaccess file anymore

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I don't get where the content comes from??????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You write whatever content you want to insert either as a .txt or a .html file, then you insert the SSI call <*!--#include virtual="/directory/filename.type" --*> (* added so it will show) where you want the new file to appear

Well now, that sounds pretty neat. I'll have to give it a shot.

Thanks for explaining. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

SSanf;

My understanding is that if you are using FrontPage you should not use .htaccess

Here is a quote from freewebmasterhelp.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Before beginning using .htaccess, I should give you one warning. Although using .htaccess on your server is extremely unlikely to cause you any problems (if something is wrong it simply won't work), you should be wary if you are using the Microsoft FrontPage Extensions. The FrontPage extensions use the .htaccess file so you should not really edit it to add your own information. If you do want to (this is not recommended, but possible) you should download the .htaccess file from your server first (if it exists) and then add your code to the beginning.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: WorkerBee ]

I mentioned this when it came up before but I guess it didn't sink in:

using .htaccess this way will make your server parse all your html files.

Since you've got upwards of 500 pages on your website, it's an important consideration because it will place a load on your server and slow things down.

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Maybe if you use an Olympic stopwatch it's slower...

But when I moved to the new server I had them set it up to parse all files, on all sites on the server, for includes and I hardly notice a difference. It's literally less than an eyeblink's delay! Not enough time for a person to react and hit Back...in fact, I think I wouldn't notice it at all if I wasn't specifically looking for the effect.

I've got over 10,000 pages... I think the amount of traffic would have more to do with the speed than the amount of pages since a lot of pages may get little traffic and therefore almost never be parsed. Maybe if I had 10x the traffic things would be 10x slower! But if I get 10x the traffic, I'll have 10x the money and upgrading won't be a problem...

(Note: I don't use Front Page but I wanted to respond to the speed issue.)

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

Maybe it's different if you're co-locating a server. If you're one of a couple hundred accounts on the same box, like the typical hosting account, traffic is going to be much higher to begin with and the number of pages total for the server will likely be well over 10K. Granted the only files that will be parsed will be the ones in the directory with the .htaccess file, but not only will it parse the web pages, but any includes with the same extension.

oh yeah - I almost forgot - You can also just use executer.cgi that Heyder recommends. I'm using that instead of SSI in about 10K + pages on a hosted account.

There's also includer.cgi which works with an encryption tool that makes it harder for someone to download and steal your site. Then you don't have to worry about SSI at all.

Oy!

Way ahead of me. And, I felt so cocky that I could at least explain SSI to someone.

There went my bubble...LOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I'm with Leader on this one. When I decided to go with SSI on my high-traffic site, I tested having the server parse all html files as shtml and then just shtml files -- it WOULD have taken an Olympic Stopwatch to tell the difference.

And that's what I'd recommend -- testing both ways. If you can't see a difference while watching for one, odds are your visitors won't see a difference.

Gordon, with what your saying, to call the ordinary ssi, to the html, then you would be calling the entier page in the include?

eaglefire, I believe I have both the executor and incuder downloaded already.

Not sure but think the CGI axs is running off that...was it Deelz maybe who showed me that. Wonderful tool.

Should I test ssi vs. executor on a test page full of a "norm" style page for me? or blank.

thanks in advance

@ rewardme.
    Yes you call the entire page (if I understand correctly) but you only put on the page the information you need, no title, meta, html or body tags.
    What I do is either put the information in a table to fit where I want it to go (ie a menu) or just use the center tags (usually for a text file only like a footer). There is nothing on my pages that does not show up on the resulting SSI call.

The advantage/disadvantage of using SSI is the search engines do not pick them up. Think about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:
    @ rewardme.

The advantage/disadvantage of using SSI is the search engines do not pick them up. Think about it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gordon,

Search engines must pick up what is included in the SSI tags. When I do a search for my sites the content that is in my SSI tags regularly shows up under the description which is nothing more than my navigational stuff or links to lower levels of my webs.

That's right.

SSI is parsed and rendered as HTML. It is searchable and indexable by the search engines as though it were just plain html.

eaglefire & Heidi

Thank you very much for correcting me.

For some reason I was always under the impression that the content of an SSI was not picked up. Either I read the wrong info or the info was right and I read it wrong. Thanks again.

Little confused, I made a notepad txt file and changed thename to .htaccess. It now sits on the top of my ftp on the server side. As far as I am concerned its a blank file with a name.

So if I make the include call to an html page to place in a shtml, it will do what?

Now with that thought, if I have 20 pages html, and now have ssi, to make more pages in shtml, how in the world do I call the html page. Do I make a blank shtml and call in the html and that will replace?

I have done all the procedure listed above and it works fine as long as I keep the ext .shtml but as soon as I change the ext to something else it doesnt work.

I have even added "AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html" to the .htaccess file. .htaccess file was already there at the server I have just edited to add "AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html". Still it doesnt work. After editting .htaccess it looks like this:

# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

&lt;Limit GET POST&gt;
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from all
    &lt;/Limit&gt;
    &lt;Limit PUT DELETE&gt;
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    &lt;/Limit&gt;

Any thoughts why is it not working with any other ext other than shtml?

Thanks
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread