ABW Ambassador
    WOW! $10.00 per sale - for about a week as the holiday shopping got into full swing. The ten bucks got their banners on more realestate. I made a couple of sales.

Back to the original $5.00 - ok. I was making some sales, even before the 10 bucks.

Then (THEN!) the commission was changed to 10 % - I'm starting to smell a rat.

Confirmed; there is a RAT! cookie duration dropped to one day. Message was sent to my CJ inbox at, you guessed it, during the wee hours of the morning!

Whats next? 3 % commission? 0 days cookie duration?

This is manipulation in it's purest form. Well planned, and precise. Get everyone gassed up for promoting their ads with a ten dollar per customer aquisition(sp?), then just as the holidays get good with the shopping... BOOM! Drop the commission, and the cookie duration. I wonder what percentage of affiliates will leave the banners up? I wonder what percentage this merchant was counting on? It is likely that some extra banners/links that were placed on web sites, due to the incentive, will remain - I bet that is what this merchant is counting on. Not me. No way. I just took down all their banners and links. They can screw ya'll, but not me. No way.

This Cosmetic Merchant in the Commission Junction network will remain un-named. BTW, I am starting to hate STRAWBERRIES [img]tongue.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The merchants affiliate manager watches the stats and also monitors his server logs to see how well the program is performing against regular traffic. They often are just jump starting a new site or looking for a mass # of new affiliates who ignor the e-mail bad news announcements and leave up the banners. At least at CJ they inform you and you can see the $$$ signs next to merchant EPC info. At BeFree no disclosure ever on cookies and it's up to the merchant to notify you on commission rate drops. BF also gives no reports for their group of merchants ..only individual merchant performance. You have to dig for info on merchants at LS ( buried under their "offer" link and no history trends are given on commissions rates, cookie days. If these 2 don't go to merchant escrows, enforced monthly payouts with 25.00 minimums they are toast in my book. The acclaim and perferred partner progam symbols are a kindergarden type joke ( star on your forehead) for choosing a merchant. LS has several "star" merchants who haven't paid commissions since august.

ABW Ambassador
    You can actually see the history of commission rate, cookie duration, etc on Linkshare. It is there under the account tab.

I wish CJ would make this info easily available so I could see how these frequent cookie changes for places like GiftTree affect performance.

Big Chuck!

I notice the amount the sale was for hasn't been showing for a few days, but I don't get 10% I still get $5 and always have except whem they have a promotion going.

I sent this:-

""Effective 12/19/01, the cookie duration will be 1 Days" Effective 12/19/01 your links will be dropped."

That should get a response. If they can afford to lose me they have waaaay too much money already.

f

francis, i sent strawberryslut.con that same email almost word for word, well actually i went on to rub their nose into how freakin pitiful a 1 day cookie is

im into affiliate power in a big way and i think we should sack our employee advertisers if they slack

c'mon y'all, take down those strawberrynet.com links and tell them to pucker up and kiss your ass

Big Chuck?

Wanna know what else I noticed, well apart from the '10%' which I'm assuming also takes effect on the 19th?

All of a sudden, not that I'm suspicious of course, many of their sales do not report amounts.

I would love to know the amounts of these sales - like if perhaps they are above average. Bit of a co-incidence that - going over to a percentage based commission structure and suddenly missing 'amounts'.

Now Strawberrynet are not the most technologically sophisticated of folk. It has long been part of their charm. So I hope their new commission structure works well for them because they have several thousand dollars worth of sales a month from me to make up.

Thanks for noticing, Big Chuck. I wouldn't have. Possibly for weeks.

f

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: francis ]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    ""Effective 12/19/01, the cookie duration will be 1 Days" Effective 12/19/01 your links will be dropped."

hehe, that is a goood line

i almost can't wait till one of our advertisers reduces its cookie so i can use it

(isn't gifttree.com about due for a cookie change?)

Hi

I used to post on the old CJ boards under a different name, and I have been waiting for a good thread to start for me to post here.

I recognise a lot of names here, it is good to see that the spirit of the Cj boards is not dead, and is growing even stronger here.

I sent Strawberry net an email or two as well, telling them I was dropping them, then I promptly hit the "drop program" button.

It goes to show that direct action really works as they are now replacing their cookie duration to 45 days.

Would someone more diplomatic than me (i.e. any of you) like to enquire about the blank amounts showing up as sales sometimes?

If they *are* going onto a percentage basis this is a problem. If they aren't its just another of their charming eccentricities.

f

ABW Ambassador
    Francis,

You don't have to worry about that if you would just take their banners down. I did.

45 days is back!

they dont use percentages they where paying $10 per sale but recently halfed it

francis, are you getting sales commissions of $0.00, if so just get the transaction ID numbers from reports and send them an email, when i email merchants i keep it short, try something like

Hi

i am writing because the following transactions where posted to my account as sales of $0.00
    transaction: #01234 #02345 #9876

could you please explain, thanks

regards, mr spock

i had big plans for strawberrynet but i dont know if i want to promote now even though they changed their cookie back to what it was

i dont know whats up with strawberrynet, first halfing commissions then reducing the cookie as more and more affiliates promote them, i get the impression that theyre getting a bad reputation and putting their links up is asking for reversals or something

yeah, fcuk em, anybody reccommend an alternative perfume merchant?

ABW Ambassador
    I had them as filler. I made one sale out of just two clicks. It could have been a beautiful relationship.

PLONK! Raising the cookie now doesn't make up for their behavior... life's too short to promote merchants that require a close eye (and a big stick).

ABW Ambassador
    Dumped 'em :mad:

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread