ABW Ambassador
    I've been playing with it all day and I just can't seem to decide how to lay it out. If you thought BettyMills was a challenge, you ain't seen nothing

-------------
    <font size="1">The price of Open Source is your sanity</font>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you thought BettyMills was a challenge, you ain't seen nothing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good! If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Just requested it and love a challenge. Hope to be working on it tonight. With temps going down to maybe 35 below, I'll be hanging close to home.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy

Mad Doctor Gfufy

Parasitewareâ„¢ Support The Fight

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Great topic.....

No, it's not an easy feed. The BFP feed is not for the faint of heart, but if you like a challenge, you have one here.

Has anyone set it up and running, yes...a few people have. Guffy being one of them as he stated above.

Opportunity? You bet. The are only - and you can count them, 12 or so websites on the web running this bad boy. Run any search on any engine for any of the products. You will see.

Is there a market? One merchant does over 1 MM per month on this feed. I won't say the name, anyone of you can find him. He runs this same feed !

So, this is not a feed you want to tackle if you are just starting with datafeeds. If you have an understanding and have set a few up already, go for it.

You will make a ton of money. Someone will dominate this vertical in 3 months, will it be you?

My merchant has no interest competing with his affilaites, we are clean and dedicated to running a 100% affiliate centric program.

So, in essence, yes, its a tough one, but this limits the competition and maximizes the profits for the savvy affiliates. Just think of all the car makes, models and parts that go with it. This feed is not limited to foreign auto's either. We have all makes and models.

Are you up to the challenge?

AndyRodriguez.com
    Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services
    P: (305)412-3512 | C: (305)785-4524 | E: doc@andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor | ICQ: 175010 | MSN: AffiliateDoctor
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com - Sign up for my newsletter, earn money!

ABW Ambassador
    I'm up for the challenge, but my PHP/MySQL book is only 4 months old and it takes some time

looks like I won't be sleeping to much this month.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Good! If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I wanted it in the first place but I'm a marketing student, and programming is just a hobby (actualy it's making money and programming/SEO/PPC is the tool)

Javi

-------------
    <font size="1">The price of Open Source is your sanity</font>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Are you up to the challenge?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Up for it! Get my email? Replied to your email about it this am.

Wayne

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Are you up to the challenge?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Up for it! Get my email? Replied to your email about it this am.

Wayne<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All are in process, however no "wayne" in the batch of over 50 emails requesting the feed.

AndyRodriguez.com
    Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services
    P: (305)412-3512 | C: (305)785-4524 | E: doc@andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor | ICQ: 175010 | MSN: AffiliateDoctor
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com - Sign up for my newsletter, earn money!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>no "wayne" ... requesting the feed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Reminds me of dinnertime while growing up in my big family. Hello, can I have some food please?? Hello?? Over here??

Looks like my first challange is to get my emails to go out. Sent another.

Wayne

What is so challenging about this datafeed?

Betty Mills wasn't hard, just took forever to upload. I'm pretty glad you only update it quarterly.

I do need more hard drive space. I'll be signing up, give me a hint on how much more I'll need. LOL

Just how big is this sucker???

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What is so challenging about this datafeed? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Just it's size. The raw text file is about 450 meg. Even after deleting unneeded fields, I have a DB file of about 150 meg. As I noted above, I omitted some of the URLs to cut the file size down when importing it into Access. Creating tables for each Make was very helpful.

Andy, I was wondering how often this is updated. I'm finding price differences already between the feed and the BFP site. Is anyone else seeing this?

Wayne

Uh oh, 450 mg. Humm, current hosting plan is 300 mg but Betty Mills already put me about 100 mg over that...

what to do, what to do...

Northern Studio, who do you use for hosting? ASP and Access databases are about all I need. And lots of hard drive space!

Not only the size, but also the complexity...

Each product could be used for a variety of years, makes, models, and may be restricted to specific partial years, engines, transmissions, chassis, etc.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Is there enough information in the data feed to be able to match up the parts with the model/year?

I haven't seen it yet - still waiting to find out why I can seem to join the program at befree!

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

ABW Ambassador
    >who do you use for hosting? ASP and Access databases are about all I need.
    I'm using Alentus.com in Canada which gives good support for ASP and dotNet technology. I have a 200 meg account for this site and, as I said, I've trimmed the feed down quite a bit. You do not need the ProductURL, BuyURL & Tracking URL fields as you can create them on the fly from other data in the record. This cuts the size of the DB almost in half. (It's very bloated due to these fields.)

>able to match up the parts with the model/year?

Yes, there is much repetition as the same part is listed more than once with different values in the make, mode, year fields.

Google has been by & starting to gobble up lots of pages on this site! Always a good sign.!

Wayne

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You do not need the ProductURL, BuyURL & Tracking URL fields as you can create them on the fly from other data in the record.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Threee cheers for systems that allow you to build the URL's from the product SKU. :^)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>>able to match up the parts with the model/year?

Yes, there is much repetition as the same part is listed more than once with different values in the make, mode, year fields.

Google has been by & starting to gobble up lots of pages on this site! Always a good sign.!

Wayne<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish I could get to the damn feed. You're half way down the front straight, and I'm still stuck in the pits with a stripped thread on the LF hub. :^(

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You're half way down the front straight, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't get discouraged. I do believe I've been lapped a couple of times already.

Wayne

This feed is definitely a challenge, but if you follow the logic of the bfp site you can figure out how to implement this database. Also, by prepping the original 450 mb file I have reduced it to a lean 87 mb :-).

Jim

2 observations (in addition to the 4 decimal prices noted elsewhere):

1) there are hard line breaks in some of the description fields. These seem to coincide with

tags in one of the Product Description fields. These are a real datafeed killer as they break a record over 2 lines.

2) It may be the sample I downloaded, but the categories used on the BFP site don't seem to be in the datafeed. I may have to delve into this further, but it looked like there were some numeric entries, but not the very useful, exhaust, clutch, steering type categories.

Can you tell I'm working on it ...

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

Crazy,

I emailed Andy about getting the categories but haven't heard back yet. Otherwise, I can still set up a search function once I have make, model & year.

Jim

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread