Wow, it took many weeks to redo all my pages and wait for them to be indexed (case sensitive link issue) - now that I'm being tracked, I see overall I have 1,155 click-thrus - 865 click-thrus this month alone!

Really great - 'cept not one pending order or sale. What's up with that? Could someone be stealing from me?

John

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    What are you are promoting? That is a lot of click-thrus, but I have had more on certain links.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Perhaps I should have clarified - sorry about that...

I'm promoting these programs

As Seen on TV
    Blankets & More
    Online Discounts

Is it normal for that many clicks to occur without one sale for these intrepid programs?

If so...

John

After rebuiding all 4 websites, I get plenty of clicks, hits, but not enough sales to earn anything, always just below the merchants minimums, and durations, I noticed sales drop every year in the summer, sytart picking up after the kids go back to school, of course there are affilites that have great sites for years, and shopper's always go back to the same store, online or off, that's service, and security,it takes time to build up a following, at least that's what I have been told by some forum members, just keep finding the best merchants, not the big name ones, they have loads of affiliates, and tv ads, media ads, but the so-called not known to well, plenty on SAS,and upgrading the pages, I don't bother with the one or 2 day specials, by the time affiliate managers get around to sending the newsletters, the time is almost gone, I get some for a certain month, in around the middle of that month, why put them in, and then have to remove them?That's my nickles worth.
    JJ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guam:
    Perhaps I should have clarified - sorry about that...

I'm promoting these programs

As Seen on TV
    Blankets & More
    Online Discounts

Is it normal for that many clicks to occur without one sale for these intrepid programs?

If so...

John <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are those even Andy's programs?

Forgive my typos, I only drew plans and specs, while other did the typing,I am getting a little better, but that takes time,too
    JJ

James: You typing is fine LOL! And yes I have already moved my focus toward SAS merchants. LinkShare also seems to be OK with me. I agree that the smaller merchants might be better to promote as not so many people are aware of them.

Heyder: Yes, I'm pretty sure these are his.

I'm not saying anything is wrong - I'm just puzzled why it takes soooo much (clicks) to get so little (in this case zilch).

John

WOW he's been busy I guess.

John, so much depends on what kind of presentation you make. For instance, I give the viewer minimum information. I let the viewer know what is available but if they want to know more about an individual product, they must click to the merchant site. If that doesn't quite fit the bill, they click on another product from my page and look at it on the merchant site. That means I generate a lot of clicks until the viewer has made the final choice.

Whereas, another affiliate may tell them every single thing about each and every product. The viewer makes only one click after already having already decided which product is for them. Of course, the second affiliate will have a lot fewer clicks per sale.

We have had a lot of discussions about the merits of these different approaches. Both work to make sales and earn money depending on the way the site is set up and what you are trying to accomplish.

So, there is too little information, from what you have told us, to be able to answer your question.

Do you just have a list of general categories with only links to a bunch of merchants who broadly fit that category? Do you show all the individual products that the merchants carry? Do you tell much about the products or are you just putting up some bait like I do?

Just getting a click to a merchant doesn't mean much without the information on what caused the viewer to click. Are they just shopping around or are they already sold when they click?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

[This is becoming a frequent refrain from me, so here goes again ...]

If you see an apparently crazy number of clicks to a merchant with no (or low) sales - especially from a datafeed (ie - many pages) site - the very first thing you should check is whether or not the tracking software/solution they use filters out SE 'bots.

If they don't (and it appears quite a few don't), then every Googlebot, MSNBot etc etc who indexes your pages and follows the outbound links will be counted as a clickthru to the merchant site.

Any subsequent analysis is meaningless if this happens, and in fact it makes a mess of most of their reporting as its fair to assume that each month a proportion of clickthrus will be 'bots, though not perhaps in the volumes an initial index will create.

SSanf: My site is pretty much a link farm; but, my "detail page or product page" does list everything - price/discription, etc. taken from the datafeed. To click thru you have to press the "Buy Now" link so I'm guessing they pretty much know if they want to buy or not. Regardless, a thousand clicks should generate at least on sale shouldn't it?

Crazy: I've never read where you posted this information before - sorry. I know these programs are under Intrepid; but, I wouldn't know if they block bots or not. It is interesting to note that google has been digging deep into that site this month, so perhaps that is the answer.

When Andy reads this, he might know about the bot situation.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guam:
    Crazy: I've never read where you posted this information before - sorry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NP - I wasn't complaining ... more like apologizing cos I know I've made the same kind of comments in different places 2 or 3 times.

Do you have any stats available on your server/hosting account? Some stats packages actually report on 'bot activity, but looking at things like referrers (or lack of), and browser types would give you an idea if many 'bots have been around. Even with basic stats, if you see one or more major blips in the hits graph, that usually means 'bots rather than humans.

John,

Just to clarify, are these clicks spread over these three merchants? So we're really talking about 385 clicks. Or is this 1155 clicks for each merchant?

I would be interested in the numbers, as I participate in a couple of those programs.

Fred

Crazy - I'm very sure your correct on this. Looking at my stats Google last night 36 MB, MSN 20 MB, Jeeves 10 MB & Ink 8 MB. The other spiders are not very hungry.

Fred: To clarify: Discount 851; Blankets - 217 & TV - 115

Yes, I'm sure that it is the bots and not humans - that makes the most sense and a situation I was unaware of.

John

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in here and be sure all is well....

John, the bot problem can affect the number of clicks you see, that i know of, KB does not filter out bots...but please look at your log files closely. I will keep monitoring your stats on my end as well.

As for the program, it converts very well. Here are some recent stats...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ID All Clicks Sales Sales Amount Commission
    1018 33 5 $254 $20.89
    1048 116 4 $230.55 $23.06
    1090 2473 3 $50.85 $4.69
    1051 6 1 $26.95 $2.70
    1060 10 1 $149.80 $14.98
    1023 23 1 $62.90 $6.29
    1069 67 1 $696.92 $83.63
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

all depends on the quality of traffic though, we do have a partner with over 2,400 clciks and 3 sales but overall, conversion are very good indeed.....

We just need to add volume and eyeballs...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread