Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey guys. Today, I noticed that 180Solutions signed up for our in-house program a few days ago.

I terminated their account, and sent them an e-mail explaining that we do not support parasiteware.

And here is a response I got:
    quote:
    Konstantin,

I would like to explain what we do so there are no misunderstandings.

We are not parasite ware. We have a software program that is a
    comparison shopping engine. A user will do a search on a chosen search
    engine and we will display our advertisers corresponding URL in a new
    browser session. Everything is highly targeted using specific keywords,
    so our users only see items related to their current search. All users
    that see our ad/link are people who have opted in to receive a shopping
    comparison engine. You will only see your ad if you have our software.

I hope we can resolve this issue. If you have any questions or comments,
    feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

xxx xxxx
    180solutions

Can anybody confirm this?

Do they overwrite cookies?

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com
    2500+ products in a data feed. 20% commission. 5 years cookie expiration.

to put it short and sweet Konstantin

Yes they do.

In fact I was wondering, although I dont make a lot of sales, why I had not made any sales since Feb-12th, I guess this could be the reason

Gordon YouTrek.com
    All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!

quote:
    In fact I was wondering, although I dont make a lot of sales, why I had not made any sales since Feb-12th, I guess this could be the reason

Nah, that's not it. They joined later than 12th.

But I do see a huge shift among affiliate sales, mostly due to the changes at Yahoo.

Some affiliates practically stopped making sales, while others started making much more.

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com

ABW Ambassador
    Even if they did not overwrite cookies, they are one of the most extreme annoyances this side of Xupiter.

Remember X-10? Perhaps they are a fine company, but the average internet surfer is so sick of X-10 popups that in their minds they identify X-10 as a pest. If you allow your company to be promoted in the way these folks do it, it won't be long before the general internet public perceives you as a pest too.

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

Konstantin, have you read this thread? It's quite long but you'll probably only need to read the first few pages to answer your question about 180Solutions. This thread was only started a little over a month ago and their software has not changed.
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...4&m=3856054135

There software is put on the users computers by drive by install that the user did not ask for then they steal all the money from affiliates and rewrite the cookie so they get the commision

-----------------------------
    parasite free merchants only! Join the Club it's Rewarding in the long run
    aim nycfalcon1

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Other then that, they are the kindest folks, volunteering to to empty bed pans down at the homeless soup kitchen.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

ABW Ambassador
    My sites use a parasite detector. I've gotten emails from people who didn't know their computers were infected with parasites, including nCase until they saw a notice on my site.

These people did not knowingly agree to the installation of this software. They were either the victims of drive-by downloads of missed the scumware "agreement" buried in their agreement when they thought they were getting something else.

I've read enough in these forums to convince me they overwrite real affiliate commissions. You did the right thing. Stick to your guns.

Wayne

Could a moderator move this to the 180solutions.com forum? I've directed a number of merchants (who have 180solutions as an affiliate and didn't realize that they were a parasite) to that forum lately, and this is just the type of post I'd like the merchants to be able to see.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

[Moved]

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Here a link for general info for advertisers who like to "support" 180Solutions, by buying advertising:
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/nCase.html

Do you really like to identify yourself with this type of companies.
    Quote from link above;
    "Newer versions of the software also seem to try to read an e-mail address, real name and ZIP code to associate with the unique identifier, from applications' data in the registry:
    Outlook Express mail accounts
    Outlook user info
    AOL Instant Messenger accounts
    Windows location
    RealPlayer location
    Windows Fax headers
    eFax.com headers
    Acrobat user info
    Netscape user info
    MS Comic Chat registration
    GameSpy registration
    NetFerret registration"

Peter

Some of the "features" I brought up to my merchants who were working with them were:

• Drive-by installs.
    • Over 30 million infected computers.
    • The extensive use of popups.
    • Interception of visitors, diluting other forms of advertising.[/list]I think most merchants just aren't aware. Education of merchants is very effective at eliminating parasites.

Michael Coley
      Amazing-Bargains.com

Ok, thanks guys.
    Their account with us will not be reactivated.

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com

yeay!

They've been dropped from a lot of non-US programmes recently as they try desperately to find merchants and networks who'll have them.

Bye-bye 180Solutions

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hha ha haa ha cough choke...

180... they make WhenU look like little amateurs

These guys target HTTP, target Google search box, target address bars... heck they would target your keyboard if they could...

I have some wicked Vidoes (thank you, you know who) of them doing this...awesome stuff... kill crush and destroy... 180 should be banned from the Internet.

Cheers

Chris

Truly the Top Pimp Daddy of the Ad Whore industry. Want to make them go bonkers tell them you have a list of 200,000 obcessive/compulsive eBay shoppers pilfered from doctors offices for sale for $10K. They'd travel to Nigeria to get at the list....

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

ABW Ambassador
    Visiting their page, I just noticed that overstock.com uses them. Huh? Lawsuit one day, marriage the next.

quote:
    Visiting their page, I just noticed that overstock.com uses them. Huh? Lawsuit one day, marriage the next.

And does this suprise you, not me when a merchant lies to you and tells you its clean of parasites 10 times they can not be trusted. if they gave me 1 million $$$ they still wouldn't be on my site.

-----------------------------
    parasite free merchants only! Join the Club it's Rewarding in the long run
    aim nycfalcon1

Hey folks,

Just wanted to give you the heads up that 180solutions is in our program, but we are out of their "pop-up" software. We test their software on a regular basis to make sure we are clean.

Let me know if you have any questions and feel free to contact me directly. I am always open to suggestions.

Regards,

J.T. Stephens
    Affiliate Program Manager
    Overstock.com
    jstephens@overstock.com

LOL ...JT they make Gator and WhenU look like Girl Scouts selling cookies. They are almost a 100% drive-by or hidden bundled BHO parasite with a program that is hard to anyone to remove and re-installs itself.

Google n-Case and 180Solutions and you'll find they blew Smoke up Overstocks butt. They have NO harmless program for advertisers as 90% of their customers have no idea where those damn pops come from....

Get real Overstock you already well inside the top 50 of ecommerce sites for sales and traffic. You NEED NO MORE friggin traffic , especially from dubious double dipping sources (Yep they hijack your PPCSE listings too). Concentrate on making sure 100% of your affiliate improve the quality of traffic to your pages and throw that damn advertiser cap into the trash can with your Pet sock puppet. Put on a sales managers conversion cap and you'll do much better. Any conversion coming from 180Solutions is hijacked sales.

Mike & Charlie ...

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Just wanted to give you the heads up that 180solutions is in our program, but we are out of their "pop-up" software.

Does that mean parasite affiliates are ok in your program as long as they leave you alone? You suspended them in January. I guess they're clean this week.

Thanks for the heads up though. I'm glad to hear this before I put any effort into doing anything with Overstock links.

You're judged by the company you keep.

Wayne

[This message was edited by NorthernStudio on March 02, 2004 at 05:36 PM.]

Your Judged by the company you keep...so true

BY James Hering | March 2, 2004

http://www.clickz.com/experts/media/...le.php/3319761

Someone please call a funeral director; we'll soon need his services.

A recently released study equates pop-ups with "brand suicide." When I read that, I grinned from ear to ear.

After conducting extensive research into the role and impact of pop-ups in online advertising, English consultancy Bunnyfoot Universality released a study last week showing 60 percent of users believe the ads could make them mistrust the brand being advertised.

The study measured users' attitudes and opinions as they relate to their perception of the Web site and the advertiser. It found 50 percent of consumers closed the ads before they loaded completely. Only 2 percent could determine the name of the advertised brand.

Study highlights:

Users feel insulted at pop-ups' appearance because it suggests they can't find what they are looking for themselves.

Users feel imposed upon because they have to take action to delete pop-ups.

Users are irritated by non-targeted ads.

Users really hate when pop-ups block content.
    With every major portal launching pop-up blocking services and customers expressing their displeasure with pop-ups, can't we just bury this scourge now?

Think It Through

While I'm ranting, here's why I think pop-ups are a bad move for advertisers:

Why associate yourself with the level of products and services that advertise with pop-ups? You're known by the company you keep.

A pop-up is a forced opt-out; users have to click to close the unwanted ad. Didn't we all agree to stop doing that with e-mail?

Over 50 million users installed pop-up blockers. Doesn't that say something?
    I'm all for ingenuity and cleverness in pushing the boundaries of online creativity. But there's a difference when customers have to install software or plug-ins to block unwanted messaging.

Perhaps I'm just dreaming that we can stop the insanity here and now. Think of the marketer whose main medium is the pop-up. If you told him to stop, could he do it cold turkey? After all, he's paying a cheap CPM rate to spray the Internet in the hopes of a few hits. This logic is 180 degrees from the ultimate promise of online marketing -- targetability.

Online Crack

Some marketers default to this tactic from plain laziness. What strategic thinking or careful tactical implementation goes into blasting 50 billion impressions a month across any site that will take them? Content relevancy? Who cares. Behavioral targeting? Don't bother. Just plaster the monitor in every corner in an attempt to hit the numbers.

Let's Plan the Funeral

Imagine...

The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) and Online Publishers Association (OPA) announce their members agree not to accept any more pop-ups.

The online agency community signs a pledge not to accept this kind of money from their clients.

Major marketers and agencies, via the American Associate of Advertising Agencies (AAAA), issue a final report that nails the coffin shut.

Talk about a powerful, consumer-focused message!
    Folks, it's time to move on. Bury pop-ups for good.

Mike & Charlie ...

180 Solutions
    Wondered where a lot of those affiliate commisions have been going. Found this entire description on How 180 Steals affiliate Commisions from not just affiliates but from some merchants. Go to
    http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/180-affiliates/

They have tested and proved just what this 180 can do and it is very scary.
    Cheers and God Bless

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    There is an article in the last issue of Revenue writtne by Rosalind Gardner entitled "A Call ti Action" that recommends how to check to see if Zango (180Solutions) is hijacking your commissions or redirecting your domain in searches. I haven't tried it yet but intend to!

Now they need to do an article on reviving 3 year old threads.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast