Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    So Zango is supposed to be the newest app coming out from 180Solutions that is, according to their recent press, going to replace n-case.

According to 180's press and the info on the Zango website, Zango doesn't use pop ups and only shows 2 to 3 websites to the user in a 24 hour period. Additionally, Zango will be paying 2 to 3 cents to distributors a download plus an additional undisclosed amount if the software stays on the end users computer for a certain length of time.

So I had to ask myself, exactly how is 180 planning to make any money through Zango, especially if they are really intending to phase out n-case as they claim???

Well the Zango website might just give some clues. http://www.zango.com/GetZango/Apps.aspx

"Zango is working with a range of independent software developers to bring you the latest screensavers, search bars, games, movie and music utilities, and more. FREE!"

And on their FAQ page http://www.zango.com/GetZango/FAQs.aspx out of the 7 FAQ's there, they address popup ads in 3 questions. First they say Zango does not serve pop ups. Then they address where pop ups may be coming from responding that delivery apps can show popups. Finally they address why popups may still be happening once Zango is removed. Again their response puts it back on other adware.

So is Zango's main revenue stream going to be from themselves receiving per download revenue by promoting apps with other adware??? ::sigh:: Or is Zango also just another medium to increase bundled installs of n-case?? It's hard for me to believe that they can generate the same revenue with just pay per download revenue of other apps through Zango that they are generating now through n-case.

Well, my new test computer should be set up and in gear by this weekend and this will definitely be one of the first apps installed. Enquiring minds would like to know.....

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thanks Linda your a Goddess ...not a pimp for the Ad Whores.

Nice PR release worthy of a presidential campaign spin artist.

....:Zango Reduces Online Advertising with Time Shifting
    Utilizing an innovative function known as time shifting, Zango enhances
    the Internet browsing experience by eliminating the need for its content and
    application publishing partners to over-expose their users to untargeted
    advertisements. In order to generate revenue, most Website publishers
    typically present advertisements when a consumer is visiting their site. By
    partnering with Zango, publishers can rely on Zango to present sponsored
    Websites to a consumer when that person is most interested in a sponsor's
    message -- typically when shopping or searching online."

YEP. Attack at the point of sale and at the traffic source with a hijacking popup or text overlay.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    If Zango itself is not parasitic, you can pretty much bet that many/some of the free components it bundles in will be.

It seems to me that in these types of situations, the main application "zango" is simply a front for distribution of "other parasitic and adware based products" that will likely developed by the same group of folks although under a completely different corporate umbrella.

The appeal of this type of setup is obvious as it provides a stream for pushing other adware and parasitic products they may develop (while
    allowing the company to claim ignorance to the reliability of frebees they push), it allows opportunities to get advertising income from other so called legitimate companies as a hedge, and it likely limts the ability to effectively prosecute them for any wrong doing if tracks are properly covered.

Zango could go away and become completely disolved yet all the junk they push out the door will still remain hanging around stealing our income and generating income from other sources.

I've long warned that components such as screen savers, popup blockers and many of these freebee programs were perfect candidates for being parasitic and that popups are not needed to overwrite our cookies. Most folks here have relied on a visual clue "the popup" as an indication that - "I better check and see if my cookie was overwritten". It's very likely that the most successful parasite will be the one that doesn't provide any visual clues of an overwrite and does so in a random fashion so it can't be easily re-created.

Auto cookie setting from domain bound affiliates (many using techniques that never display a popup for the merchant) are the tip of the iceberg going forward. I've now even seen where affiliates are coding the cookie overwrite to occur only on a mousemove operation to further detract their ability to be detected overwriting cookies by automated programs (It's easy enough to send an instance of an application a mousemove message though - - Next....).

There seems to be a never ending supply of tricks to emply from those that want to manipulate the system and try to unethically profit from the internet and income from affiliate programs.

Poon:

Good points. I'm sure this is the defense nCase will use to say they are not a parasite. Instead, they'll simply act as the conduit for parasites. Simple, clever and sleazy as .

"Good points. I'm sure this is the defense nCase will use to say they are not a parasite. Instead, they'll simply act as the conduit for parasites. Simple, clever and sleazy as..

Sounds just like the definition of todays affiliate network.

Poon as normal your spot on in your observations as both the networks and the BHO's legal teams seem to collaberate on the legal loopholes and buck passing (less the pimp fees)

The "silence of the networks" on the blind cookie stuffing affiliates using the poorman's BHO is screaming in my ears. Seems no matter what bait you and I use we can't get a peep out of the networks on this practice nor the new breed of BHO's. Sounds like a good time to pull out the Cookie Nuke bomb and assure every affiliate enabled merchant sale has a cookie attached. The two major forces setting cookies without a physical click, coupled with other greed drive AD Whores, should make the merchants scream for a Safe Haven network.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

All the network mouthpieces sure do clam up the moment someone challenges them about birthing a new BHO and sneaking the shark into the commission pool. How about the data mining silence on tracking issues and not a hint about TOS changes needed to stop blind cookie setting with 1x1 pixel pops of off screen popunder iframes.

Where the love we see from Stephen getting all steamed up that someone a sleezy as Afftrack is selling off affiluate/merchnat stats. Hell where's the outrage on the stolen commissions by 100+ LS BHO's and their favorite Dupers ...all Afftrack customers.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread