I haven't downloaded anything recently, haven't installed any new program on my computer, but I just got a pop up for Zango!!!!

I checked everywhere to remove it, but I don't see anything in add/remove program for it or 1800 solutions, and a file search for zango and other derivatives returned nothing.

I did a scan with Xblock, pestpatrol, adaware, spybot and none of them found anything. Where did that damned pop up come from?????? And how do I get rid of it now? How did I get it in the first place???

HELP! ARGHHHHH!

Catwoman

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Now Catwoman...Tommy assured us that Zango was really easy to uninstall. More so that n-case.

Unfortunately, the last time I checked the spyware removal apps weren't detecting it yet. Though I did file a report on it with spybot S&D way back.

So where do I find this thing on my computer and how do I get rid of it? And equally outrageous is how the hell did I end up with it in the first place??

Thanks Ms. B!

Catwoman

I doubt I will be able to answer the question about how you got it.

Do a ctrl alt del and copy down all the processes your have running. It would be helpful if you close any programs you are not using before you do this. PM me what all you show running and I'll see if I can help you sort it out.

Also was the pop up for Zango (as in the ad for Zango) or did the title on the pop say something along the lines of "brought to you by zango"?

Not all running tasks will show in the ctrl/alt/delete window and usually what you want to find won't be there in my experience

You will get a more accurate picture on what is running from

accessories/system tools/system information

then

software environment/running tasks

Dirk,

In processes not programs what I need should be. They are always there for me. The paras that I need to know about.

Oh, I see.

I'll keep on adding my input and will keep on learning anyway.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Seems the 180Solutions wank said thta Zango would be a simmple one-step uninstall from the normal windows "add/remove" section of control panel. I think 180Solutions often has a re-install procedure built in the windows "startup" folder. Take a look at the "startup" section and uncheck any strange programs running there when you bootup. Go to the start button and choose "run". type in msconfig and say OK.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

quote:
    Also was the pop up for Zango (as in the ad for Zango) or did the title on the pop say something along the lines of "brought to you by zango"?

No one of them was an ad for a dating service I think, it was kinda pinkish in color, I thought it was weird because the site I was on had NOTHING to do with that. So they target anything and everything, obviously. If you're surfing, you'll get popped! I remember seeing Zango at the top of the ad and I thought hmmmm that's a new one I've never heard of before. Then none of the spyware programs picked it up nor detected it when I did a full scan...??? So I came here looking for Zango, kinda looking for you. Aren't you the lucky one! lol

Nothing new is showing in task manager that shouldn't be there, nothing unusual in start-up, I already checked all that.

I'm sure that whatever it is I got will pop up again sooner or later. No idea how in hell I got that one though! Firewall, antivirus, spyware removers and several of them!, and this one still got through and went totally undetected in all scans. Go figure... You test the spies and I test the removers.

BTW, someone told me before on this board (don't remember who it was) that Regblock was better than PestPatrol. I went a step higher and got a free trial of XBlock, and you know what? PestPatrol IS better for spyware! I'm glad there was a free version of that... Even the free pestpatrol scan catches more spyware than those programs. But PestPatrol is somewhat paranoid like Norton, everything is spyware according to them. Still a better spyware remover/detector though.

Catwoman

quote:
    Originally posted by Catwoman:
    quote:

No one of them was an ad for a dating service I think, there was a woman in the ad (maybe they thought I was a man??), it was kinda pinkish in color, I thought it was weird because the site I was on had NOTHING to do with that. So they target anything and everything, obviously. If you're surfing, you'll get popped! I remember seeing Zango at the top of the ad and I thought hmmmm that's a new one I've never heard of before. Then none of the spyware programs picked it up nor detected it when I did a full scan...??? So I came here looking for Zango, kinda looking for you. Aren't you the lucky one! lol

Nothing new is showing in task manager that shouldn't be there, nothing unusual in start-up, I already checked all that.

I'm sure that whatever it is I got will pop up again sooner or later. No idea how in hell I got that one though! Firewall, antivirus, spyware removers and several of them!, and this one still got through and went totally undetected in all scans. Go figure... You test the spies and I test the removers.

BTW, someone told me before on this board (don't remember who it was) that Regblock was better than PestPatrol. I went a step higher and got a free trial of XBlock, and you know what? PestPatrol IS better for spyware! I'm glad there was a free version of that... Even the free pestpatrol scan catches more spyware than those programs. But PestPatrol is somewhat paranoid like Norton, everything is spyware according to them. Still a better spyware remover/detector though.

Catwoman

ABW Ambassador
    The following won't get rid of it for you,
    but it will stop future drive-by downloads
    using ActiveX, which is how most of this crap
    gets on your computer:

If you haven't already set your ActiveX to
    prompt, do the following:

Go to 'Tools', then 'Internet Options', then
    'Security', then click on 'Custom Level'.
    You will see about five references to ActiveX
    at the top, any that are set to enable, change
    to prompt. Then whenver you get an ActiveX
    prompt, a box will pop up and ask if you want
    to allow ActiveX, say no unless you really
    trust the site. This is how most of this crap
    gets on your computer.
    Since I changed my ActiveX to prompt and don't
    allow it on my computer, I haven't gotten any
    of this crap on my computer.
    After you do this, run Adaware or Spybot Search
    and Destroy to clean your computer.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    SpywareBlaster 3.1 ..Prevent spyware from installing in the first place!

Spyware, adware, browser hijackers, and dialers are some of the fastest-growing threats on the Internet today. By simply browsing to a web page, you could find your computer to be the brand-new host of one of these unwanted Ad Whore fiends!

The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available. Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests in Internet Explorer. Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox. Please support sites like EcomCity.com who earn commissions from recommending trusted merchants for savvy shoppers. Be sure to not check off auto removal of these cookies... Bfast (BeFree merchants) all Commission Junction cookies and those from Linksynergy (Linkshare) or I'm out of business. The sale commission tracking cookies set from our merchant links are NOT SPYWARE.

SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background. SpywareBlaster is freeware for personal and educational use.

> Download SpywareBlaster 3.1 ...and be sure to immediately get the latest adware/spyware profile http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Then use the built-in "tools" to set your browsers to prevent drive by installs. It has a neat feature to build a System Snapshot to copy/restore a file of your Windows registry and clean boot record for quick restore. It also blocks in your HOSTS file all the major known drive-by, hidden bundleing install sites and those of the malware BHO's.

Attention AM's! It's Nice read to look over that Restricted Sites list and bann any affiliate site or Duper Merchant found there from your programs. They are all commission thieves and browser spammers or work for commission thieves for infection fees.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Or just stop using MS IE.

Use FireFox and get the added HUGE advantage of tabbed browsing.

But some people never learn I guess.

how to get rid of zango
    Everyone that needs to know how to get rid of zango I have figured it out. Well atleast it worked for me.
    I went to Start, then clicked on Control Panel. once you get in there you have to click on Add or Remove Programs. Then a list of things you are able to delete will appear. click on Whatever You need and then click Change or Remove Programs.
    Once you have done that they will tell you to restart your computer. When your computer starts back up Zango will be gone.

This I believe will only work if you actually downloaded Zango to your computer. If it's just pop-ups, then i dont think this will workout for you.

hi there please email me if this dosent work i have more help! but the first method tell me what security ure using so i can tell if ne of them can get rid of it on a higher setting. now if i were you ide download spybot search and destroy,u can get it from download.com here is the link for you:
    http://www.download.com/Spybot-Searc...html?tag=lst-1
    if u get a ad from this page re-paste the site and it will come up! there u go need more help mail me at ryan_lane_uk@hotmail.co.uk thanks yours ryan

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread