Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine..._linked10.html

There are a couple of statements in here where accurracy isn't quite on point (I'm not talking about spin regarding software behavior) and cause me a bit of concern. This is of course part of the danger when the media becomes involved. Statements such as affiliate tracking code is "attached to the browser" can be easily misconstrued and is potentially not favorable to affiliates in light of the spyware conern environment.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ms. B we've come a long way to push this parasiteware subject to the general public. Any media coverage that tells even part of the story educates those who wonder where those infernal popups and browser modifications come from.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I agree Mike. However, accurate information as much as possible is essential right now. Please believe me when I say this. This above phrase I quoted connotates some type of possible 'spyware'. With legislation in the works and legislators also looking towards Industry self-regulation (and that means the spyware removal apps to a large degree) on many of the issues that relate directly AM and the monetary/commerce concerns, we should take heed and have some concerns regarding such statements. IMO, affiliate tracking getting labeled and thrown in as a consumer privacy concern and "spying on consumers" is a very real threat and one we should not be ignoring.

Don't get me wrong, I was pleased to see that article and overall happy with it. We need to be vigilant on all fronts right now however.

I agree with prior messages -- both that the article is generally pretty accurate, and that in a couple respects it could stand for a bit more fact-checking.

I'm quoted as saying that 180 stopped "it" -- but the "it" I was referring to was not "all targeting of affiliate commissions, as the article implies. Quite the contrary: My hands-on testing (with videos and network logs) of yesterday afternoon shows that 180 is continuing such practices, as to both LinkShare and CJ merchants. Rather, I had meant only to convey that 180's silent affiliate targeting was much reduced relative to a couple weeks back. Though even the silent targeting still continues; overnight I ran tests that found 20+ merchants still so targeted -- mostly private-label non-affiliate-network merchants, including several large travel sites, but also at least one LinkShare merchant.

15 years and counting
    Ms. B I agree with you, at this point accuracy is very important.
    1800solutions is not a one man operation. We have to remember they have a whole team working for their PR spins and they are pretty good at that. They have the money and the people to convince everybody they are doing nothing wrong.
    We know they are just thieves but we have to win the battle with the media. It's not going to be easy.
    At least, I feel good to see more and more merchants wondering about what LS and CJ told them and running their own investigation. They are going to discover fast who's telling the truth.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread