I just received this email from and thought you guys would enjoy seeing evidence of an affiliate network proactively educating their customers on this issue.

Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 10:39 AM
    Subject: Potential Fraud

Dear Merchant,

We at KowaBunga!, in a continued effort to ensure our merchants are running the most profitable affiliate programs in the industry, want to alert you to an important issue. 180Solutions, also known as MetricsDirect, has been signing up to several of our merchant's programs as an affiliate. Though they do not appear to have yet enrolled in your program, we wanted to give you more information about them for future reference.
    This affiliate/company has recently been exposed as engaging in possibly fraudulent activity. A complete analysis of their business practices is
    In summary, this company encourages users to install software on their computers, often in exchange for mp3 downloads or other incentives. This software, once installed, will track the user's browser activity and, most importantly, will attempt to take credit for any hit to your web site, regardless of how the visitor finds your site. In this scenario you are rewarding this affiliate for a commission even if the visitor actually found your site through another affiliate, or even if they simply typed your domain into their browser. We believe that these practices not only cheat your other affiliates, they cheat you directly.
    If this affiliate does sign up for your program in the future, our best advice is to contact them directly and confront them with this information.
    We would also encourage you to let us know what response you receive from them and what action you do take, as this will help us form policy on our end with respect to new merchants and affiliates in our Kolimbo network. If they assert, for instance, that their practices are not unfairly drawing revenue away from your other affiliates and/or advertising budget, we can work with you to test this assertion. In any event, we again encourage you to keep in touch with us about this matter.

KowaBunga! Technologies

ABW Ambassador
    The letter from pfx and now this.... hmmm.

It appears "some networks" are beginning to rethink ramifications as solid documentation and evidence is being compiled and are taking steps to cover their behinds.

Whos next?

The days of merchants claiming ignorance to the issues is almost over... and ignorance does not protect someone from non-presecution.....

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats to KowaBunga. They have really made some great strides this last year, I hope they keep at it.

All righty! I guess I joined a while ago but never went back there to find programs. Forgot them. I am looking, now.....

Well, I found one with good potential. Joined and went to their links page. You guessed it, no data feed. I wonder if they even know what one is. So many merchants don't. Not even instructions on how to link to the individual product pages.

I am working on a combined feed for merchants in their niche that I want to finish today. They could have been quickly added. Too bad because I won't rework this feed again soon.

Well, I wrote to them but since they weren't ready for me, I guess they won't go on my site today.

Please, help your merchants to be ready when we join. Otherwise, they get lost in the shuffle.

Three of Brians merchants who WERE ready got incorporated in the feed I just put together.

I only tell you this so you will know that one of your merchants lost a really good opportunity and why. Perhaps, it will help.

We NEED good networks and you folks seem to want to be one.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    We believe that these practices not only cheat your other affiliates, they cheat you directly.

Well said, and well done K!

If you need more info (K) on 180 and what their tactics have been from our experience, please feel free to contact me anytime. I have had enough of their business practices, and would happily share with you our experiences.

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO -, Inc.

I only tell you this so you will know that one of your merchants lost a really good opportunity and why. Perhaps, it will help.

We would love for our merchants to be more savvy about having things like this available to good affiliates. Unfortunately, that is not always easy. If you're willing, I'd love for you to contact me directly so we can determine what sort of things you need in an affiliate network. We are building Kolimbo to be as friendly as possible to good affiliates, including customizing it to meet your needs.

You can email me at anytime to let me know what would make you more willing to work with our merchants.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread