Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Read all about it here:

Plan Selection: Classic or Tiered?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Option #1 is the "classic referral fee structure" that was in place in Q3 2002.

* 5% of the sale of Amazon retail items
    * 5% of the sale of products sold by ToysRUs.com, BabiesRUs.com, and Imaginarium.com
    * 2.5% of the sale of all other Marketplace products sold by third parties
    * 15% for qualifying book links

Option #2 is a "tiered referral fee structure" that compensates you for the number (and type) of items sold through your links, and for putting an "Easy Link" on your homepage.

* You will earn between 4.5% and 8% on Amazon retail items
    * You will earn 5% of the sale of products sold by ToysRUs.com, BabiesRUs.com, and Imaginarium.com
    * You will also earn 2.5% of the sale of all other Marketplace products sold by third parties
    * You can still earn 15% for qualifying book links
    * You agree to add an Easy Link to your homepage(s)
    * You agree to sell a minimum number of non-media items. See the table below for details
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have a problem with the Easy Link, but I wonder about the minimum of non-media items. I promote just books, and any sales of other types of products are accidental. I see that I sold 7 toys in Q4 so far. I am in the 6% tier.

So should I go with Tiered or Classic? Decisions, decisions.

Peter Kirby
    Domain Name Registration Directory

I don’t know, that “Easy Link” is what’s giving me problems. I’ve been converting books on my content site at better than 10% (If I had known that earlier, I would have promoted a lot more of them, sooner than I have) and I’m redesigning my mall site and planed on using a good many non media items from Amazon (trying to keep the redesigned site parasite free) so the numbers don’t concern me too much. But that easy link just won’t mesh with my content site. Especially on the home page. They’re supposed to release more info at the end of the month. I’ll see if they specify where the link has to be. If not I’ll bury it at the bottom of my page. Or maybe not. I’m still undecided.

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

For me it's not worth it to go to the tiered level unless I start moving over 100-150 units a month for them. I'm sticking to Classic.

BTW, did you guys note that they've decided to keep the $10 ceiling?

J

15 years and counting
    I don't like it.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You agree to add an Easy Link to your homepage(s) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Nobody is going to tell me what to have on my homepage(s) I'm not in that business for advertisement or Amazon, you'll have to pay me upfront.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

In addition, you have to sell more products to reach the next tier! Now you stat at 4.5% and move up.

1-25 4.5% WAS 5%
    26-75 5% WAS 5.5%
    76-250 5.5% WAS 6%
    etc.

I don't like the changes...

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Sometimes I wonder if there is a whole team over at Amazon whose sole purpose is to see how complicated they can make their commission structure.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Hah.. and we just gave 'em an award for the improvements to their program!

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

Me thinks as one hand gives the other takes away.

"Easy Links" requirement is non-sense!

I'm already agreeing to sell more with "Tiered" structure then they hit me with a stupid requirement.

And it's for all the sites, not one! And all the images for easy links are BIG! They already have a strong brand, why do they have to do this?

Anyway, if we all contact them about this issue, we may push them to *relax* a bit.

ABW Ambassador
    'SleazyLink' did it for me. I use my own banner exchange script to rotate ads across my network of sites so I'm NOT about to remove that code to stick a static Amazon banner in that slot...NOR am I going to add another banner that has to load to my home pages. I'll stick with the classic pay structure and earn a little less rather than have Amazon dictate the content and/or design of my site(s)!

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>CollectableCrazy.com<LI>CollectibleCrazy.com<LI> CollectorsAlert.com
    <LI>eTMAC.com
    <LI>ExchangeReview.com<LI> Seek360.com[/list]

After reading the new terms, we'll probably go back to the classic plan. All things considered, right now it's simply not worth the effort to modify any of our sites. We may change our minds later on but....

Besides, I'm not sure whether or not they could pay us enough to put those ugly banners on our sites.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    does homepage = /
    or does homepage = some page on your site?

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

the new amazon "tiered package" is unacceptable, not least the "easyLink" part - while we have no problem with the non-media stipulation. we are a top performer with them and, as things now stand, we have opted for their "classic" for Q1 03. shall evaluate our future policy as things develop.

we have also contacted them by email on this matter.

I would encourage you to decline the new "tiered package" as soon as possible, sending a message of disapproval. I would not be surprised to see amazon re-evaluate their terms for Q2 03 if enough top performers decline.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't mind putting it on my homepage, nobody goes there anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

----------------------------
    I can procrastinate tomorrow

I agree. Most visitors to my site enter on a page other than the home page. Slapping the banner near the bottom where it's not going to get much visibility to begin with is no problem for me.

Besides, people just don't look at banners. They tune them out like television commercials. If Amazon thinks they're going to reap any huge benefit from that requirement they are in for a rude awakening. My site has few banners, and promotes individual products. That's what sells, and that's what brings people to other pages at my site and rarely the home page.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

I'd say the same as the last two posts, except that putting a silly banner on 30 some odd sites marketing Amazon just seems a bit much right now.

I like your point heisje. Although I didn't perform as well as I had hoped this quarter (not any better than last quarter really), I make enough that the guy I talked to before signing the Q4 agreement thought maybe he was on the wrong side of the affiliate equation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Over on the Amazon Associates board there is one individual who is fairly vocal about the new changes. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

He's made an interesting comment to the effect that as long as the Easy Link banner is on the home page, Amazon can literally change their marketing strategy from hour to hour because they control the banner.

While the 'concept' is good, I'm not putting anything on our 100+ sites that we don't control. Must be a trust thing....

CodeJockey.

It is just not possible to put the easy link banner on all my web sites. I don't think it should be a requirement as it will not fit with many sites. Even if hidden at the bottom of the page.

I sell mostly non-media items so the minimum there is no problem for me, but again I think it is wrong to require it. Let people sell what they are good at selling.

Seems like it would make more sense to base the tiers on total sales instead of items, types of products and banner ads. Shouldn't the people bringing in the most $$$ make the highest commish?

Cheapest thing I have found so far is 37 cent box of paperclips. Maybe I will suggest that my customers buy paperclips along with their purchase. Who couldn't use an extra box of paperclips?

Personally I decided on the Tiered program. The non-media requirement will actually be to my benefit because it encourages me to make more sites and diversify my offerings, thus making more money for me and Amazon. As for the Easy Link, I will go with the 120x150 because it is not that monstrous and I already found a place for it on a couple sites. I am shooting for selling over 500 items in Q1. Paperclips is a great idea too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If the Easy Link is an issue, there is nothing wrong with the Classic option. Classic was the only option 3 months ago and nobody was complaining then.

But ... I doubt that Amazon will be getting an award in 2003. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Peter Kirby
    Domain Name Registration Directory

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jane:
    Who couldn't use an extra box of paperclips?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They'll probably move a lot of those out about a week before quarter-end [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I agree about the extra requirements needed for the tiered payout and the easy links....too constricting to the site owner. I wanted to ask, are any of you using the "Quick Link" buttons? I have just signed up with Amazon, and they say that you will earn more referral payout with this than you will with the other linking methods.

I am a little shy about getting those yet, because they say that your customer has 24 hours to buy from that link...and they give the impression that if your customer strays off of the product buy page, you do not get the sale.
    Anybody have any problems with these?

Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter Kirby:
    If the Easy Link is an issue, there is nothing wrong with the Classic option. Classic was the only option 3 months ago and nobody was complaining then.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmmh - I think many were complaining about the payout levels and the commission cap 3 months ago. The Q4 program was an excellent response to those concerns and led to a widespread increase in Amazon links.

Now we're dumped back where we started or worse. I'm not normally a paranoid affiliate, but this smacks of large-scale manipulation of an affiliate force that has more new/niaive members than most. The SleazyLinks requirement(good term Stanley) is crass. Free branding that circumvents affiliates and gives Amazon control of front page real estate - I don't think so.

Most productive affiliates appear to be going Classic which will maybe say something to Amazon, but I'm not sure they'll lose any sleep over it.

Are you Crazy?

You can choose which you want on a quarterly basis. So if you want to try it in the future, it's up to you. Personally, I'm choosing standard this quarter.

I kind of liked the Q4 payment structure. The new structure appears to have 3 goals for Amazon.
    1) Trim costs by Paying affiliates a lower percentage of sales
    2) Expand Amazon's "Branding Campaign" via EasyLinks
    3) Push their non traditional / non media items to open the door for more products and other big players (ie ToysRus, OldNavy, etc...)

I have the biggest problem with the easy link requirement. If they had more/smaller sizes or a functional link like a search box, it wouldn't be quite so bad.

The pay structure is designed to pay affiliates less, but it shouldn't be too hard for most people to get 76 sales in a quarter and earn more than the 5% that their Classic plan is paying. The non-media requirement isn't that high (YET), and accidental sales ought to satisfy that requirement. I foresee the non-media requirement increasing in future quarters at which point it will become a major issue for alot of affiliates.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Most productive affiliates appear to be going Classic which will maybe say something to Amazon, but I'm not sure they'll lose any sleep over it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, no loss of sleep - but even so I have detected a positive attitude in my personal communications with their AMs: seems the new structure is not getting good feedback from performing affiliates.

go "classic" for Q1 03 and let them know with a polite PM, I believe this shall be sufficient for the time-being and, on aggregate, effective.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast