<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dear Heisje,

I appreciate your feedback regarding the Easy Link requirement in the tiered compensation structure for Q1. We are currently working on a text version of Easy Links that we hope you will find acceptable. Though we will serve the content (text) to this link, you will have control of how it looks on your site. We expect to this launch next week, so please stay tuned for this new option.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    sounds interesting?
    I think so . . .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heisje:
    sounds interesting?
    I think so . . .
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure is - who did you write to?

I replied to one of the associate emails they sent me, but I doubt if it ends up in a real mailbox. There's a much better chance I'd be willing to put a text link somewhere.

Better not get too carried away - let's wait and see exactly what they come up with.

Are you Crazy?

some people have contacts, dont' they

hmmm.... I've just added the banners to my sites, but cant seem to make Target="_blank" work with them... any thoughts?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>we will serve the content (text) to this link<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is why I didn't opt into the tiered program this quarter: They want to control a portion of my sites.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>hmmm.... I've just added the banners to my sites, but cant seem to make Target="_blank" work with them... any thoughts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is in discussion at Amazon's Associates Helping Associates board. You can add target="_blank" all you want to the &lt;area&gt; tags within the &lt;iframe&gt; tag, but that's over-ridden by browsers that support &lt;iframe&gt; when Amazon serves up new content that loads within the iframe.

If you test it in older browsers that don't support IFRAME, the Target="_blank" will behave as expected.

It's not worth it for the additional $20 or so I would earn from Amazon by going with the tiered structure to relinquish control of my homepages and visitors.

I signed up for the tiered version. I placed the Easy Link on my home page. So far this month, I have had 667 Amazon clicks. One click has been the Easy Link ... and I suspect that was me testing the link when I put it up.

Amazon is missing the boat if they expect that link to perform on my site. I put it at the bottom of my home page. The thing is, most people enter my site through other pages and rarely visit my home page.

You're not giving up control to Amazon if nobody's going to click on the link anyway. I would say that 99% of the clicks I get for amazon are for specific products. People tune out banners like the Easy Link, like the tune out commercials on television.

Wise up, Amazon. The reason we sell so much for you is we know how to present your products in a way that people will be tempted to buy. Seeing your banner on our home pages will do nothing for you, except maybe generate a little brand awareness. But, who hasn't heard of Amazon in this day and age?

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

ABW Ambassador
    Actually, it accomplishes much more than brand awareness.

While Amazon's affiliate cookie only lasts during the current shopping sesssion, they have cookies that don't expire (or expire years after the user buys). This cookie is wonderful (for Amazon):

Amazon greets you by first name when you arrive at their site.

They keep various pieces of information on you, where you live, what you've bought, looked at, etc.

Now they'll know what your favorite sites are and what your hobbies are/might be.

IOW, that little (sl)Easylink banner is used to pick the brain of Joe Surfer at the next level.

How do they get Sam and Samantha Webmaster to implement it? Of course! Tell them they get to keep their teired commissions!

[sarcasm]Gosh, they didn't plan the bait and switch from the beginning, did they?[/sarcasm]

Not only did I opt for "classic", I changed the links on one of my top-performing websites over to CD Universe. (7% with tiers to 15% and no useless garbage attached.)

Well, I just got an email with details of the fantastic new text version. Ha!

Its a banner sized iframe that they put text in

So much more flexible - oh, and it has to go above the fold, unlike the graphic version.

Not worth a couple % to me ...

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    wtf is above the fold? Since I don't "fold" my webpages..I guess I am OK

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dear Associate,

This note is our final reminder of the January 20th deadline to choose your Q1 referral fee structure.

In addition, based on feedback from Associates regarding the graphic version of Easy Links, we have launched a new fully customizable text version. We serve the content (text) to this link, but you will have control of how it looks on your site. Please note that if you are using the text version of Easy Links to meet the requirement for the Q1 tiered structure, you will need to place the link above-the-fold on your homepage (the graphic version can be placed anywhere).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously, I'm not familiar with that term, what does above the fold mean in this context?

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

Above the fold means the part of the screen that is first visible without scrolling.

Accounting for various screen sizes, toolbars etc basically it means top or near top of page.

It's a hangover from print media.

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Above the fold means the part of the screen that is first visible without scrolling.

Accounting for various screen sizes, toolbars etc basically it means top or near top of page.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks...
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's a hangover from print media.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I figured, but wasn't sure how it related to scrollable web pages on a monitor.

So I view my pages on a 65" monitor.. they don't scroll..can I put it at the bottom?

Bleah, I'm staying with classic, for now.

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

Give Amazon.com a break will ya? Every messageboard I visit gripes about Amazon.com's affiliate program.

We all know its weaknesses, such as the miserly commission rate, but it is also far more impressive than any other out there for the flexibility it offers in implementing links.

If you hate Amazon so much, why don't you promote another one of the hundreds of affiliate programmes out there?

I personally would never put so much effort into Amazon.com's affiliate programme when the commission rate is so low. So many more lucrative affiliate programmes out there - but I suppose it's too much hard work for some people to bother researching them.

The new text link is FAR better than the images which primarily had branding in mind rather than generating sales for affiliates.

Click here for hilarious 'No War on Iraq' images!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you hate Amazon so much, why don't you promote another one of the hundreds of affiliate programmes out there?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I moved 90% of the links on my top-producing amazon site to a competitor about a month ago.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread