So far my biggest check from Amazon has been $18.67! I have not really pushed them very hard.

But hopefully that will change this year. I am in the process of building several XML driven sites that I hope will increase my revenue significantly.

So what are you other guys pulling in each quarter? More than $500.00?

I need some inspriration.....

Burke

15 years and counting
    My bigest one was a little bit more than $8000 for last quarter. I was surprised. I'm mostly selling books related to my web sites and kitchen accessories. Since they get rid of the parasites my conversion ratio is at least twice what it was before.
    I was getting ready to promote them more and then they scr@w up again with their infamous requirements.
    So they are down again on my priority list.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Zeus,
    What do you mean they "scr@w up again with their infamous requirements"? Are you referring to the tiered structure?

Burke

15 years and counting
    I did not like their request to add an "Easy Link" on our home page to benefit from a better referral fee like during Q4. So I kept the "classic" plan and I've not been adding any link to them lately.
    As long as I can find better merchants with better commission level I don't have any incentive to work with them.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Here's some inspiration....

My biggest check from Amazon was last quarter...$23,800. I average about $15,000/quarter with Amazon so it's certainly possible. Their commission structure for Q4 really helped me out too, I'm not doing as well this quarter, but I still can't complain.

It was only about 3 years ago that I was at $250/quarter with Amazon, and I was able to go to more than $10,000 in less than 6 months.

WTG milesm!

Truly an inspiration.

I have transformed my Amazon earnings from pennies to (will be) c $3k this Q - but I'm delighted to see there is loads of headroom still

I don't expect you to give away anything, but if you can, I'd be interested to know if your Amazon sales are incidental to other site activity/content or if you have specifically targeted product sales through Amazon?

I'm doing both, but it's the latter that has transformed things. The percentage commissions seem small, the return days are cr@p, but Amazon really do convert. I'm at about 1 item ordered per 33 visitors sent, though you have to factor in multi-item orders to make conversion comaprisons with other merchants.

Are you Crazy?

My average check size is about 3 inches by 6 inches, unless they use business size checks or direct deposit.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

Wow, some great inspiration here - I must put some more work into promoting amazon. I just checked back for my last quarter's check and was surprised to see it was $720 - I hardly ever put up their links, they must really convert.

WOW! Thanks for the encouragement. I am in the process of building some Amazon sites as a part of my plan for 2003 to really hit Affiliate marketing hard.

Amazon will definately be a part of the mix....

Our biggest problems are not selling books, and bumping against that $10 commission limit. Those two things really keep our commissions low.

Gotta use your marketing head. There are plenty of items at Amazon that are neither books, nor cost more than $200.

Okay, the occasional book or over $200 item gets ordered, but if you concentrate on marketing the other items, the checks can grow pretty quickly.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Part of it is our viewership. Most of the stuff they're interested in are electronics and computers. But you're absolutely right. We put very little thought into marketing Amazon. We only earned a bit over $15k last quarter, but maybe we'll give scripts a try this time around. Seems like they work well for a lot of people on this board.

I would like to say congratulations to those here who've made significant income at affiliate marketing.

I am new to this field, and have been looking for a perfect home based business, and I believe this is it. I am proficient at web design, so I figure that is at least 1/3 of this process.

I would like to ask if any of you could post your websites (if it isn't against board rules) for me to take a look at. I am thinking of being an affiliate with Amazon, but I am not shure just yet.

Any other advice on getting started with Amazon or this affiliate gig in general would be appreciated.

-Lucas-

--------------------
    "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." -Robert Orben

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> would like to ask if any of you could post your websites (if it isn't against board rules) for me to take a look at.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may want to duck now!!

Asking for urls is a fairly big no no
    I caught the tail end of several site copying threads when I joined here and it got pretty ugly so people are pretty sensitive about this.

Rightly so. If you spend (literaly) hundreds of hours on your sites, why would you reveal them when there are those who will copy them, change the links and move on?
    There are those who will share on a more private note once they gain some trust in you.

Your best bet, is to read what to do and what not to do here.
    Then .... do it.
    then repeat it.
    When you are done that, read some more here and then do more.
    and so on.....
    pretty soon your banana will do this:
    and when you open your checks you will do this and then this

Game on!!!!

TO: Popdawg

Hey thanks for the tips. I wouldn't know about changing links and stealing sites per se, seeing is that I'm just a joe trying to make his way in the world.

If that's off the table, how about y'all give some responses on your experiences with Amazon, and whether or not affiliating with them would be a good idea. I have read mixed signals here, especially since they have a new system up.

-Lucas-

--------------------
    "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." -Robert Orben

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Any other advice on getting started with Amazon or this affiliate gig in general would be appreciated.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you actually started with Amazon.com? If you were in their discussion group you'd find about 150 folks that didn't mind sharing their URLs.

ABW Ambassador
    Lucas: Amazon is a good merchant to start with, but don't limit yourself.

Once you've had a taste of cookie duration, you don't want to go back.

I have not yet begun any such affiliate project. I am new to this business. However, I do know two things: 1. If they get paid, I get paid. 2. I know how to build an effective website, graphically and technically.

With this in mind, I know that these are the bare minimums I need, but they are also important. But that is why I am here - to take in the vassness of information that is this board.

Quote the Raven: "Amazon is a good merchant to start with, but don't limit yourself." - weisinator If I am not mistaken, the top three selling products online are books/information, music, and electronics/computers. Since Amazon.com offers all of this and more, what other affiliate programs would you recommend? What about similar sites like Barns & Noble?

Basically I want to start out the "recommended" way, such as do I just build one site that offers multiple items, or multiple sites that just offer one item each? What are the recommended or "best" affiliates to join? If we break it down, it is just a to-do list.

Comments welcome.

-Lucas-

--------------------

ABW Ambassador
    There is no recommended way. No right or wrong. There are infinite possibilities and ways to go about this...

ABW Ambassador
    Since those are the top three selling products, there's lots of competition. You'll have to fight to make your mark.

Amazon does have some huge advantages over the competition, such as a live XML product datafeed, which I use, and "Earth's biggest selection".

They also have disadvantages like a comparatively short cookie duration and the most bizarre commission structure in the business and a $10 per item cap on anything that's not a book. (Sure, you can get up to 15% in commissions, but sales that meet the requirements are few and far between.)

There are hundreds (thousands?) of merchants. You can get better commissions and cookie duration from their competitors.

Joseph has the "right" answer.

Since I am the one who started this thread, I thought I would check back in and give you some idea what I am up to.

The first of February I converted a traditional e-commerce site where I was selling one type of product - not one item, but a theme of the same type of items. I was using a drop shipper to fullfill my orders. The problem was that my selection was small, and my drop-ship distributor had a terrible time keeping the stuff in stock.

So I converted it over using the amazon.pl script and selling these same items using the Amazon affiliate program. The selection on my site went from about 15 items to hundreds plus accessories for these products. In February I made more sales than I had the previous 5 months total using drop shipping. And my income was equal to the previous 5 months as well.

The best thing is, I did this without any customer support headaches! I have only made about $50 in February, but yesterday I sold 13 items thru this site!

With the other sites I have coming online (built but not indexed by the search engines yet), the sky is the limit. Now I am branching out to other affiliate programs, mostly thru CJ to start to diversify my holdings.

I also have 3 other e-commerce sites that utilize the drop shipping method. My goal for this year is to diversify into Affiliate Marketing and make more on affiliate stuff than on my other drop ship sites.

I want to make more money, but my time is limited. Traditional e-commerce takes time, and I just cannot expand more than I have on my limited time. So now I am building sites and moving on. Goal is to be at $3,000/month by the end of 2003 from affiliate programs.

Burke

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread