ABW Ambassador
    Visit
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...885170-1540621

Check under product detail - sponsored links.

Currently a link to pricegrabber.com and comedycatalog.com

The original link is for an absolutely fabulous book - the comedycatalog link is the Complete DVD collection at comedy catalog for $78, $6 cheaper than amazon offers it elsewhere.

I guess the idea of driving targetted traffic to amazon is dead, they are actively trying to get the visitor to go elsewhere for their purchase.

Amazon must be on its last legs to be this desperate for cash.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    the idea of driving targetted traffic to amazon is dead... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I was (and still am) amazed at the lack of responses under the "Final Straw" thread on their board. It was bad enough with the various partners they don't pay commission on, not to mention the "in-store" pick-up that also cut out your compensation for sending them the traffic and now this<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Amazon must be on its last legs to be this desperate for cash.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Once they fully assimilated the IMD and loaded it up to the gills with pop-ups and unders, I kept saying to myself this just doesn't seem like something Amazon would do, turns out it was a precursor for things to come.

ABW Ambassador
    I think those sponsored listings are coming out of Google Adwords. The fruit of new Google-Amazon cooperation!

Hey,

I posted that "Final Straw" message on the Amazon discussion board. I, too, was surprised hardly anyone else posted under it. There's a lot more sponsored listings than I think people realize. It's such a crock. I plan on leaving Amazon real soon because of it.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Jeez ..guess I shouldn't put up any Amazon links. Took most I could find off my sites in Y-1999. They were a shady merchnat then ..and appear to be repeating the diversion tactics.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

15 years and counting
    We're never safe in that business. I was starting to feel more confident with Amazon and here they are, scr@wing one more time their affiliates.
    A few months ago, I was thinking to promote their new product lines after their stances on parasites. Their request to be on my home pages made be wondering was up with them. Too bad, but I'm going to stick with my old strategy, just selling books related to my web sites. I don't really need them.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

I honestly think most associates have not seen these ads yet. I had to look quite a while to fine one. As soon as I saw what they're doing, I realized Amazon must be very desperate and its affiliate program is probably doomed. The next day, I joined an ad network. I resisted that for years, didn't want banners and pop-ups on my site, but I have to make money somehow, and I no longer have any faith in Amazon.com. None.

From what I have seen of Amazon they are a big company where not everyone knows everything that's going on.

The Ad sales group there probably thought this up as a way to get revenue from related products they don't sell (i.e. someone advertising vacations related to a travel book or DVD) but didn't think through the concept properly and realise that their competitors would use it to undercut them.

My guess is that you will see this "innovation" disappear (or competing products blocked) once other parts of Amazon realize what is happening.

Mark Mitford
    RevShares.com
    Solutions for Affiliate Program Managers

Good point, Mark, and I hope you're right. I used to work at a dot-com company and I've seen the bumbling incompetence that leads to things like this. The entire Internet seems to be run by bandits. No one cares about building a good company; everyone is just waiting for their options to vest. I'm too cynical, I suppose, but I hoped Amazon was different, and now I don't think so.

Mark, I hope you are correct. I have sights built entirely around Amazon and I hate to think what I would have to do if this pilfering continues.

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

ABW Ambassador
    Mark always has the positive spin (which is a good break from what is normally here). But I think sometimes his feelings are based on being an honest upright guy working for an honest upright company.

Sadly that doesn't cover all companies or people. Some are stupid brutes who look for short term cash instead of long term viablity. I wonder if this "advertising cash infusion" was to help get their stock up a little in the short term?

Though to be fair to amazon, they have been trying the long-term outlook for longer than anyone, but still not working that well for them.

chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zeus:
    A few months ago, I was thinking to promote their new product lines after their stances on parasites. Their request to be on my home pages made be wondering was up with them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too was impressed with their stance of parasites until last week when I went over to a friend's house. She had just purchased a new computer and needed some help. When I went to the homepage of my website, I was aghast to see a WhenU banner for an amazon coupon pop up.

Amazon requires that in order to participate in their tiered program we place their banner on our home page. Fair enough. But what isn't fair is that WhenU comes along and tries to steal my commissions. I was furious.

Worst of all, my friend had no idea that she had downloaded WhenU on her computer. It was a drive by and it took days for us to figure out how to get it off her system.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

15 years and counting
    I'm driving my visitors back to my sites thru amazon.com and I'm getting charged for that (thru Adwords)

I'm paying (way too much) Google for some targeted keywords. For the same keywords, I've web pages with links to related amazon books or other products. I didn't understand some of my logs and from where the traffic was coming from, I know now, FROM MY OWN TRAFFIC.
    If I follow the trail, the visitor leave my site to the amazon product page, see my ad for the targeted keyword, click on it, and go back to my web site. It S@cks.

What do you think of that?

Amazon you're lowering your prices by STEALING my traffic.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> SPONSORED LINKS

Sponsored Links are advertisements that Amazon.com provides to you. We receive Sponsored Links from Google's AdWords service. When you click on a Sponsored Link, we get revenue. The selection of Sponsored Links that are displayed is based on keywords. For example, if you search for "Bruce Springsteen" or view pages about Bruce Springsteen, the Sponsored Links may point to sites that sell tickets to his concerts or provide information about him. Sponsored Links are always clearly labeled.

Generating additional revenue from Sponsored Links allows us to offer lower prices to you--something we are dedicated to doing every way we can.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> From Amazon.com: "...something we are dedicated to doing every way we can." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I guess that means even if they have to cheat their own affiliates to do it.

From the very beginning, I got the impression that this Amazon/Google arangement wasn't thought out very well. I think Amazon must be desperate for money.

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    If I follow the trail, the visitor leave my site to the amazon product page, see my ad for the targeted keyword, click on it, and go back to my web site. It S@cks.
    - - - - -

Ouch! I wonder how much money Amazon takes in from the google relationship in comparison to their affiliate program.

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread