I just saw that amazon has become a full fledge affiliate. Almost every affiliate program is now part of their Apparel area.

They also have very high search enginge rankings.

This is going to be a huge competition to us.

Of course, they are also joined up with parasites. Care2.com overwrites direct type-ins.

Allen

I look for the day, when every affiliate from every nation can climb to the mountain top and yell,
    'Free again, Free Again."

Today is a national day of parasite free shopping.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Sucks.

~Revenue is King

What Leader said.

I guess this shouldn't be a big surprise, they seemed to be gearing up toward this. The real question is, what will affiliates do about it?

Hmmmmm....

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    I thought they are selling thru Amazon, like Target, Fields, Office Depot, Toysrus etc. So if you link to Amazon and somebody buys clothing you get commission right? Just like if you link to Target thru Amazon you get commission? Am i missing something?

"All qualifying apparel items will receive a referral of 7% referral fee rate. "

"Marketplace products sold by third parties will qualify for a referral fee of 2.5%. Such items appear on the detail page for an Amazon.com product as new, used or refurbished. This includes items from Target, Marshall Fields, Office Depot, Circuit City, and others, as well as items sold in our Amazon.com Apparel and Accessories store ."

For clothing merchants that have their own affiilate program i link to them(not Amazon). There are some clothing merchants i link to thru Amazon that don't have an affiliate program and it seems fine.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on July 13, 2003 at 06:11 PM.]

I don't promote amazon myself Trust, but what I see is many, many of the stores we are associated with getting in the Amazon product site. Even Backcountrystore went there....

So what happens to the cookie If someone came to my site and visited BackCountryStore then If I was promoting Amazon, clicked on an Amazon link and bought one of the BackcountryStore Products?

Guess I gotta take a low commission? I would say that Affiliates that promote amazon may be better off promoting the indivudial store only.

I dunno.... you tell me.

I look for the day, when every affiliate from every nation can climb to the mountain top and yell,
    'Free again, Free Again."

Today is a national day of parasite free shopping.

ABW Ambassador
    Amazon has Amazon cookies - for all of their shops. Backcountry has backcountry cookies. If they went from another amazon link to the backcountry part of amazon, you just got a sale you would have lost.

If they click on amazon after clicking on your backcountry direct link, your backcountry cookie still exists.

Amazon is a merchant not an affiliate.

Chet

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread